JORDAL AMFI (VG) Stig-André Berge (38) walked out of the World Cup at home and said a moving farewell in front of King Harald, four thousand spectators, wrestling friends and immediate family.
With his son Niklas on his arm, he walked out of the ring after being greeted. The 38-year-old was very moved when he spoke to VG just seconds after his farewell session at Jordal Amphey ended.
– It was crazy… I had been planning it for a while, but it was weird. Now it’s over. It’s good a little after a lot. A good bit, and very painful, says Berg Bucky.
20 years as a major player in the wrestling circus is over. The end was not with a medal around the neck.
Strong opening match
After a superb rebound against Armenian Hratia Pogosyan in the opening match of the World Cup at home, Berg met Ukraine’s Lenore Timirov in the round of 16.
Gallery of photos from the last Berg match:
1 of 4Photo: Jawad Barsa
There, Berg took a 1-0 lead early, holding the lead halfway. After the break, the Ukrainian quickly turned 3-1, and this was also the end result.
Berg was then counting on Timirov going to the final for the opportunity to fight for the bronze medal through rehab, but that hope dashed when Timirov reached the quarter-finals.
– How was it when you realized that the rehabilitation option was gone?
– It’s like a great love sadness. When you fail a goal, but I always knew I was a challenger and not a medal favourite.
Dad in the stands
– I’ve been doing this for 20 years. Berg says it’s time for everything.
Stig-André Berge in a new TV series: – My mom is dead and my dad is in prison
Berg told many powerful privacy stories regarding the NRK series “Head in a pinch”. His mother passed away a few months before he took the Olympic bronze in Rio, and shortly thereafter After that, the father was sentenced to 12 years in prison for the murder of his stepmother.
Father Bjorn Berg took a leave of absence from prison and was in the stands when his son attended his last summit at the highest level. In his time it was his father who made Stig Andre interested in wrestling.
– What does it mean that your dad was also in the stands today and carried him with him?
– Yes, it is large, of course. My main support here. Those who have been closer to me all these years and have enabled me to continue to do so. There are many who deserve thanks now.
– Aside from the fact that there is no medal – could you have ended your career better?
– No, definitely not. But handing a medal to all who came here would be the greatest thing.
Stig Andre Berg on the future: – Scary
The highlight of his career is Olympic bronze from Rio 2016.
He also has one WC silver in 2014, as well as two EC silvers and a bronze.
– It’s hard and brutal. Now it’s over. His wife, Russell Otney Berg, told NRK with tears in her eyes that it was very sad.
note! Morten Thorsen was eliminated from the quarter-finals in the 67K weight class, but could still reach the Bronze Final through rehab tomorrow if opponent Matt Kippsjeff wins tonight’s semi-final. Oscar Marvik broke the bronze final in the 130K class tonight.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”