ULLEVAAL (Dagbladet): Ødegaard has played 35 national matches since 2014 and scored one goal. The goal came in a 2-2 match against Romania in the summer of 2019.
– It’s too bad. I think he and his colleagues agree that there were too few target points, TV 2 expert Jesper Mathisen tells Dagbladet.
– But he should not be alone to blame alone. He created a number of chances that could have gone in, but his teammates missed them.
Odegaard and Norway are preparing for the World Cup qualifier against Latvia on Saturday. With three points, it will be the final of the group against the Netherlands in Rotterdam on Tuesday. Friday still not confirmed Whether the match will go to the stands full or empty.
But taste it: In four days, Norway could be ready for the World Cup in Qatar next year.
The team counts on the best standing – as among others Ødegaard. He played very well against Montenegro in October, when Norway won 2-0. However, most people would probably expect that it would contribute more sticks and finishes, leading to goals.
It has become the norm for coach Ståle Solbakken to answer Ødegaard’s questions. On the statistics of one goal in 35 matches, he says:
– He had the opportunity to score more goals. There will likely be more in the next 35 matches. He also had a chance in the playoffs, where he was behind a lot of our offensive play.
– You’re not worried?
– No. I look at him as a player who in his career will get many assists. He will participate in the constructive game as much as in the final.
The stats still don’t lie. Ødegaard has experienced two magical periods in his career. The first was at Vitesse in the 2018/19 season. Then he scored eight goals in the league and provided 11 assists.
Success continued the following season at Real Sociedad. Then he scored four goals in the league and six assists. He also had six goal points in the cup.
Because this was in Spain, Ødegaard could be said to have had his final achievement on the world stage that year. But since then it hasn’t been that impressive. This season he has one goal for Arsenal.
Solbakken believes Ødegaard has a role as an authority on the team, although the stats aren’t with him.
– He is a calm and calm captain who does not run in the lanes. But he spreads calm with his safe presence as captain, Solbakken tells Dagbladet.
– He’s a great leader, on and off the field. Muhammad Al-Yunusi points out that he is good at listening and saying the right things.
In the next few days, the Norwegian boys will be taking the exam. Statistics are quickly forgotten. Anyone who sends Norway to the World Cup can become champions forever.
World Cup qualifiers
|the black Mountain||8||3||2||3||11||–||11||11|
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”