The man behind “Squid Game,” Hwang Dong Hyuk, says he lost six teeth due to stress during filming. Now he is thinking of a new season.
Writing, producing and directing a series on their own was a really big job. When I think about doing the same thing again for Season 2, I get a little worried, says “Squid Game” creator Hwang Dong Hyuk in an interview with CNN.
He told the channel that he lost six teeth while filming the series, and is on its way to becoming the most popular Netflix series of all time.
– On my left side I still miss a tooth. I need dental implants, but I didn’t have time for that, says the South Korean.
Furthermore, he says that nothing has been confirmed yet when it comes to the issue of the new season.
– But a lot of people are so excited that I really appreciate it.
1 of 3Photo: YOUNGKYU PARK / Netflix
He wasn’t betting on him at first
“Squid Game” is an exciting series with some terrifying content. The movie spans nine episodes and revolves around hundreds of players with debts up to their ears who accept a mysterious invitation to compete in children’s games. The prize money is KRW 45.6 billion, equivalent to about NOK 300 million. But this effort is deadly.
The series has ranked #1 on Netflix in 90 countries since its September launch. But interest in the series was not always great.
When Hwang Dong Hyuk came up with the idea for the series over ten years ago, he wasn’t invested in it because he thought the series was too weird and too far from reality, says the screenwriter.
– But now people say they think they would have played if the game existed. And they believe that the game must be secretly taking place somewhere in the world already. It’s a sad story — the world has become a more “Squid Game”-friendly place in just over ten years, he told CNN.
The response was also intense in the series’ home country, the Internet service provider in South Korea She sued the energy giant because the popular TV series overcharges the web.
The country’s politicians have also spoken out against distributors not subsidizing broadband providers when the flow of content leads to “traffic jams” like this. Netflix opposes the lawsuit, but has stated, according to Reuters, that it will evaluate the situation.
A story about losers
For Hwang Dong Hyuk, playing was an important part of his childhood.
We have all played simple and childish games at one time or another. After they grew up, the question was, “What would it be like for these kids to play again?” The original series in its entirety, he tells the channel.
Furthermore, Hwang Dong-hyuk reveals that the main roles Seong Gi-hun and Cho Sang-woo are clones of his inner self, named after some of his old friends.
– They are two faces to me. As Seong Gi-hun, I grew up with a single mother in an economically difficult area of Ssangmun-dong. At the same time, I went to Seoul National University, like Cho Sang-woo, the whole neighborhood greeted me and had high expectations of me.
The actors of “Squid Game” benefited from the tremendous success of the series. Debutante Jung Ho-yeon (27) gained around 16 million followers in three weeks And many others have gone from zero to millions.
For the South Korean director, the series’ narrative reflects today’s “competitive society.”
– This is a story about losers. Those who struggle with the challenges of everyday life are left behind, while the winners rise.
“Infuriatingly humble web fan. Writer. Alcohol geek. Passionate explorer. Evil problem solver. Incurable zombie expert.”