Shortly after NRK released the news, FIDE sent out a press release, writing that it was the new quarantine rules in Kazakhstan that made the country unable to host the World Cup.
Many participants are required to self-quarantine for seven days, making participation impossible.
– The list of countries affected by the new quarantine rules has been expanded in recent days, FIDE wrote in a press release.
David Lada, press director at FIDE, told NRK that they are working on a solution. But with a few weeks left, it’s not at all certain that it will work.
– We are working with an alternative regulator. There’s a chance to get it here, and we’ll try. The World Chess Championship is arousing great interest in the country. Maybe we’re using interest to get a lightning-fast chess world cup here. We’ll probably have news in a couple of days, says Llada.
He says it’s not an option for the tournament to be online.
– We must be present especially with lightning and fast chess. The press director says that it is part of the sport to meet the opponent face to face.
In addition to Dubai, they are also studying the possibility of hosting the tournament in Spain.
– It will be difficult. With the current situation in the world, it affects our sport and our lives, and we have to live with it. Lada says, but we should try, it is our duty.
Carlsen knew nothing
Magnus Carlsen is the world champion in both light and fast chess. We have to go back two years to the last time the tournament took place as usual. Then Moscow was the organizer.
Carlsen was asked about the cancellation in Kazakhstan after the 10th match of the world long jump championships on Wednesday. Then he said:
– I didn’t know anything about it. I want to play if it is still arranged somewhere else.
Find alternate host cities
However, the International Chess Federation states that it is working on a new regulator.
– FIDE is looking for alternative host cities, we will be back with an update at the end of the week.
The press release stated that the authorities in Kazakhstan regret the cancellation and wish to arrange the tournament again next year.
The world number one Norwegian took further steps towards his fifth on Wednesday World title in the long game of chess after a tie with white pieces.
– I felt a little better at some point. But Carlsen said the idea has always been that the draw is one step closer to the World Cup title.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”