At 16:18, police received reports of a boat accident at Crakenset near the Culleseed Canal in Pomlo.
A small boat was taken up on a pole, and a boy was pulled out of the sea and taken ashore in another boat.
Major resources were dispatched to the city, and the boy was given cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
– Unfortunately, it did not work and the boy was pronounced dead at 5.20 p.m., Nikolai Astrym, head of operations of the South-West Police District, writes in a press release.
– Terrible tragedy
In the news release, police said the 12-year-old boy is from the area and next of kin have been notified.
– It’s very sad, says Bomlo Mayor Sammy Olson (SP).
He says the municipality has activated its crisis team. Police write that he was taken care of by a group of next of kin.
Several minor witnesses witnessed the crash
Police were at the scene Thursday evening conducting interviews and questioning witnesses to determine what happened.
Trond Børge Åsbu, the incident leader of the police at the scene, said there were several boats that saw the incident.
– There was one big boat, three or four small boats. Aspu said the people on the boats were under 18 years of age.
– How are you?
– This is a very sad incident. Aspu says it is clear that both the immediate environment, witnesses and relatives have been greatly affected by the incident.
The police also inspected the boat and took it to shore. They also inspected the accident site.
– Police ask you to understand that we have no information to share about this case today, writes Operations Manager Astreme in a press release.
“Music geek. Coffee lover. Devoted food scholar. Web buff. Passionate internet guru.”