- Newcastle – Monday. City, at 17.30 Sunday
- Monday. Issued – Liverpool at 21.00 Monday
MANCHESTER (Dagbladet): New Liverpool striker Darwin Nunez (23) deceived himself when he knocked out Joachim Andersen in the 1-1 match against Crystal Palace on Monday. He allowed himself to be provoked by close duels with the Dane, and lost his head.
– I’m here to learn from my mistakes. He wrote on social media that it won’t happen again.
– He must control himself. He should know that such things can happen, especially in the Premier League, says Liverpool defender, Virgil van Dijk.
The Dutchman has been reproduced in many English media, including Watchman.
It’s still early in the season. But as close as Manchester City and Liverpool are, anything could have consequences for the golden race. Absolutely everything.
Many believe that it is between these two teams and players: Erling Braut Haaland, Kevin De Bruyne and Phil Foden against Virgil van Dijk, Darwin Nunez and Mohamed Salah.
– There is a learning curve. Hopefully, it won’t happen again, says Van Dyck of his sacked colleague.
Back to the England striker’s duel talking about:
Haaland was brought from Borussia Dortmund to Manchester City for approximately NOK 600 million. Liverpool spent about a billion crowns to buy Nunez from Benfica.
The Uruguayan scored 26 goals and four assists in the Portuguese league last season. Haaland scored 22 goals and eight assists in the German League.
Now there are high expectations for both of them in the Premier League. Who gets the best deal? Jurgen Klopp or Pep Guardiola?
But it’s about following the rules of the game: If you take people down, you have no business on the football field.
– He was disappointed in himself, says Van Dyck.
– We support him. He knows that this cannot happen again. I hope so.
While Haaland and City have won both games, Liverpool have already conceded four points with two draws against Fulham and Crystal Palace. The team is in twelfth place. This is the worst start under coach Jurgen Klopp.
Without Nunez, Liverpool will face a challenge at the top in the mega match against Manchester United on Monday. Hope is the return of Roberto Firmino.
But Van Dyck calls for calm:
We played two games and we still have a long way to go. Anything can happen. We keep the focus on ourselves. We don’t read what other people outside the club say about us. They don’t really know what’s going on.
– It’s funny: We won the Community Shield, a lot of people said. Now we played two games with a draw and people write us off. But this is the outside world. We focus on what we can influence, and these are our accomplishments.
Arsenal is the only team to have a full pot with Manchester City. While Nunez is listed with one goal, Haaland has two for the city. And we haven’t seen the best of Norwegian yet.
Eight touches in the 4-0 win over Bournemouth last weekend may belong to rarities. The club published a picture on Twitter on Wednesday evening with the text “Full focus”.
The most difficult task for a striker is when Bournemouth defends as he did, says coach Pep Guardiola.
– They had three center backs and two players up front again. How can you survive something like this? It’s tough.
Newcastle await at St James’ Park on Sunday.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”