Christine Lagarde sounds the alarm before the US elections. She believes that a Trump victory could threaten Europe's security.
In an interview with French television, Frenchwoman Christine Lagarde said that Trump's victory in the fall presidential elections would pose a threat to Europe.
Donald Trump (77 years old) is considered the most likely candidate to become the new Republican presidential candidate in the US presidential elections scheduled for November, and a competitor to current President Joe Biden (81 years old) from the Democratic Party.
Lagarde refers to the way he ruled the country from 2017 to 2021. He repeatedly criticized NATO allied countries for not paying enough to defend it.
-A clear threat
– Considering how he has done this over the four years, he is a clear threat. One has only to look at the punitive tariffs, the approach to NATO and the fight against climate change, she tells French television channel France 2.
Financial Times reports.
Lagarde is the former Finance Minister of France and head of the International Monetary Fund. She now heads the European Central Bank.
European Commissioner Thierry Breton shares her concerns, according to the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet. He is now revealing new details from a meeting with then-US President Donald Trump in 2020.
Trump then warned European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen that the Americans might leave European countries in an embarrassing situation if war broke out.
The United States of America is Norway's most important ally of Europe through NATO.
– you have to understand. If Europe is attacked, we will never help you,” Trump told von der Leyen, according to Britton.
– And by the way, NATO is dead. We will leave NATO. “By the way, you owe me $400 billion because you didn’t pay for your defense,” Trump said, according to Britton.
Breton is now asking the European Union to create a US$100 billion defense fund to increase arms production.
He says Europeans should prepare for the fact that support from the United States may disappear if Trump wins.
– He may come back and this is a real wake-up call for us. Now, more than ever, we know we are alone. Of course, almost all of us are members of NATO. But we have no alternative but to speed this up significantly so that we are ready, no matter what happens, says Britton, according to Aftonbladet.
It is believed that it will take 18 months before the EU can reach the same level of arms production as Russia.
It has now been nearly two years since Russia's all-out invasion of Ukraine. The country has been in a state of war since 2014, when the Russians annexed the Crimean Peninsula and created the Donetsk and Luhansk republics.
– Breton says: – It is very important that the European Union has the same capacity.
“Coffee trailblazer. Certified pop culture lover. Infuriatingly humble gamer.”