Since Russia invaded Ukraine, President Volodymyr Zhelensky has been praised around the world for his speeches.
– I have a dream. “These words are familiar to each and every one of you,” Zhelensky said in a speech to the U.S. Congress on Wednesday.
The US Congress applauded him. Speaking of Jelensky, Martin Luther King Jr. refers to the famous speech.
– Jens Keltson, a professor of rhetoric at the university, says he recreates the audience’s experiences so that they can get the feelings they want, which is now similar to the experiences he has had in Ukraine. TV2 from Bergen.
Zhelensky also spoke about the attack on Pearl Harbor and the 2001 World Trade Center.
– He evokes feelings and thoughts that already live among the audience and adapts them to the situation in Ukraine, says Geltsen.
The president also showed videos of Russian attacks on Ukraine. The dismissal of the rhetorical professor was not a coincidence.
– Uses this image to show strong shots so he doesn’t have to describe them. Instead Geltsen says and points out that he can appear heroic through rhetoric:
– He speaks directly to the Americans. He does what all good rhetoricians do, he thinks about the audience, says Geltsen.
However, it was not until he used the well-known notes of the US Congress Zelenskyj to meet the audience he was speaking to.
– He did the same when he spoke in the British Parliament about Winston Churchill. When he spoke to the Germans, he referred to the Berlin Wall, says Geltsen.
– The US Parliament, the British Parliament, the German Parliament and indeed his popularity with people all over the world is remarkable, says Geltsen.
Geltson noted one thing in particular about the popularity of Zelensky.
– When he delivers these speeches, it begins as soon as the Member of Parliament or the audience wakes up before he has said anything. So he is currently a rhetorical superstar.
There may be a problem
According to the rhetorician, there are also flaws in being referred to as an excellent speaker.
– He does it incredibly well, but at the same time there is a danger here, says Geltsen and mentions former US President Barack Obama, who is also known as an exceptionally good speaker.
– Hillary Clinton used it in the election campaign. Han Cha: “We need him, not the speaker.” So if you are very good at talking, you may not be so good at shopping, says Geltsen.
Kjeldsen, on the other hand, believes that Zelenskyj is an activist and that he is showing up for his people.
– He stands in the middle of Kiev and speaks to the world. He is not a fugitive from Ukraine. He cares about Ukraine and he shows by his actions that he is a man who meets ordinary people. And it’s a rhetoric, it’s not just words, he says.
The president initially announced that it was inappropriate to leave the country and that he would stay in the capital, Kiev.
– Zelenskyj In many ways the new form of war rhetorician, Kjeldsen believes.
Two completely different leaders
Zhelensky’s way was completely different from that of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
– Putin is an ancient and traditional martial artist in many ways, while Zhelensky seeks identity in all the speeches he makes.
– Zhelensky is unique in many ways because he assumes three roles: president, military leader and ordinary man, says Geltsen.
“Music geek. Coffee lover. Devoted food scholar. Web buff. Passionate internet guru.”