KOŠICE (VG) has had great success as captain of Magdeburg. On Thursday evening, Christian O’Sullivan (30) will make his European Championship debut as boys’ handball captain against Slovakia. Biarty Merhall praises the Caliph.
Christian Berg, the national team manager – himself a former captain of the Norway national team – described the election as “very normal”.
A good choice among several good alternatives. Personally, I think Björnsen, Sander (Sagosin) and O’Sullivan would have been good choices, but the choice fell on Sullivan feeling safe and satisfied. Bjarte Myrhol tells VG: The one who leads the good, the one who shows in action how to act and behave both on and off the field.
The captain had led Norway to two World Cup finals, while deputy captain Christian Bjornsen intervened when Mirhall was injured when the European Championship bronze was secured two years ago. Now the right wing continues as the deputy captain.
EC-Ready Burger: – Very cool
– There are big shoes to fill after my neighbor. I don’t think I will be able to do that. It’s a totally unique genre, but we have to fill the void after it with more people contributing and going in the same direction. Bjarte has been a role model for me and everyone else here. It’s the definition of a professional athlete, says the always down-to-earth Oslo man who grew up in Bækkelaget.
No matter how much you win in handball, it is the greatest honor to be allowed to be the captain of your country, of the national team. This means a lot, says O’Sullivan, who in season five takes over as captain of his German club’s team.
Magdeburg has grown strong with “Sully” as he is called in the national team, at the helm of the team.
** This spring, Magdeburg won the European League.
** This fall, the club defeated O’Sullivan and Magnus Goldrod in the Club World Cup (Super Globe) after a thrilling victory over Champions League winners Barcelona in the semi-finals.
** Now Magdeburg leads the Bundesliga after winning 16 out of 17 matches. The distance to Sander Sagosens Kiel is four points with one game less played.
– We played great. But a little surprised we’re leading by that number of points, O’Sullivan says.
– It should look better than against Denmark. We’re counting on finding a little back to basics. One of my jobs, O’Sullivan says, is to contribute to that, calling the 35-25 loss to the Danish EC favorites “the best training we can get”.
Against TV 2’s claim about the triple salary: – Very illogical
The Slovakian national team, which will host the European Championship, is waiting, Thursday, at the Steel Arena in the Steel City in eastern Slovakia. The Slovaks have not played a tournament in 10 years and have not won a European Championship match in nine attempts. Ergo, the favorite character is affixed to Norway.
– An incredible pleasure to meet home, even if only a quarter of the spectators escaped. It doesn’t have to be easy. We respect Slovakia, says Christian O’Sullivan, but we have to beat it.
– The opening match will be very exciting. Very happy to meet Norway with Slovakia in the first match. The reason is that this match requires superior performance and a long life in the stands. It’s a very good way to start Norway, says former captain Bjarte Merhall.
Norway continues its group game against Russia on Saturday and Lithuania on Monday. Thursday’s match can be watched on TV 3 and Viaplay at 20.30.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”