A woman with two cubs was shot dead Sunday afternoon in Lierne, Trøndelag. The bears are said to have attacked several reindeer calves. A person has the status of a suspect.
The shooter reported the incident to police at 17.20. A woman with two cubs was shot, police said in a statement.
– Operations Manager Rune Branmo tells Vijay that we do not know the age of the bear cubs.
The first news that came to the police was that the deer was attacked by a bear and that is why he was shot. The emergency law in the Biodiversity Act states that if domestic deer are attacked, the game can be killed.
– Police Attorney Ole Andreas Afred says in a statement that a person has the status of a suspect in this case.
Work to get an overview
Police are now getting an overview of what happened.
– When the course of events is mapped, the case will be evaluated against the relevant criminal rules, says police lawyer Ole Andreas Afrid.
The case has been reported to the State Administrator in Trøndelag and the Norwegian Environment Agency.
Trondelag under population targets
In Trøndelag, 25 bears were counted in the population last year, Jonas Kindberg, head of Rovdata, told VG.
– If it is a female with cubs it means that the bear is breeding. They will not be until the age of five, so you are further away from reaching the population target in Trondelock.
The goal in Trøndelag is to have three annual cubs (litter with bear cubs, journ.anm.), Which means you should have 17 to 20 female bears. Kindberg explains that last year there were nine female bears and 1.6 cubs.
– So is it unfortunate for the stock?
– Absolutely from a stock perspective, yes. To the population, the female bear is valuable because it breeds. But there are many considerations to take here, he insists on the case.
The bear gets one to four bear cubs – but on average 2.4, Kindberg says. They go back a year and a half to two and a half years.
“Music geek. Coffee lover. Devoted food scholar. Web buff. Passionate internet guru.”