Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is keeping the door open to new signings before the summer window closes.
Already in mid-June, Liverpool signed Darwin Nunez, Calvin Ramsey and Fabio Carvalho. Since then, no new names have emerged, despite the speculation surrounding several of the club’s players – such as Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keïta.
In recent weeks, the two mentioned, Thiago and Curtis Jones, have been injured among the club’s midfielders. The same goes for striker Diogo Jota and central defenders Joel Matip and Ibrahima Konate. Many of them are now back in training and could be ready again for matches as early as this weekend.
However, injury problems led to rumors spreading about a number of players for the club. Another in line is Wolverhampton Robin Nevis.
The closer we get to the deadline, the more likely this will happen. So it is. What can I say? We are not outside. Even if I could, I can’t say any names. It’s tough. There is a group of players that would be a good fit for us, but there are different challenges. We can’t impose anything, says Klopp, and he confirms that they are still at least partially active in the market Press Conference Before the Wednesday match against Newcastle.
The transfer window in England closes at midnight between September 1 and 2 Norwegian time.
– So there is still time. But when it’s over and we’re either with someone or not, I’m so happy about it, because then we can stop thinking about it. Then we can focus on the stability we have, the team we have, and prepare ourselves for all the challenges that lie ahead that season, says Klopp.
Even with the big signing of Darwin Nunez, Liverpool are almost at zero during the transfer window due to the sale of players such as Sadio Mane, Nico Williams and Takumi Minamino.
From time to time I will be willing to risk a little more. But I don’t decide anything and then it’s okay. We try everything until the deadline and someone tells us we can’t do it. Yes, we do have problems. “We haven’t always played good football, but we will be ready to extract everything from the lemon this season,” says Klopp.
VG tip: Liverpool – Newcastle United
- Is Liverpool fit? 9-0 at home against Bournemouth was at least a big, big step in the right direction. Now they have to start making up for what they lost and then they can’t afford too many mistakes moving forward.
- Newcastle showed in 2022 that they maintain a high level and remain undefeated – although a draw in their last three games means the points total is not massive. Now we think the first loss of the season will come to Eddie Howe and Company.
- Liverpool have had a good grip on Newcastle in recent years, 7-4-0 in the last 11 games between the two teams.
- Our betting suggestion: a home win by 1.28. Play stopped at 20.59. You can watch the match on Vsport Premier League and Viaplay.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”