– In early February / March, I was contacted by many people I knew at the UN. They suspected something had gone wrong within the organization. They said they were subjected to fear and harassment. They tried to do something locally, but nothing happened.
On a slightly worse Whatsapp line from the suburbs of Geneva in Switzerland, former High Commissioner Mukesh Kapila (67) talks about a case that has occupied most of his time in recent months.
This case ended with a shocking information New York TimesAnd it was on May 8 that former Norwegian Minister of Defense and Justice Great Framo (66) resigned as chairman of the UN Office for Planning Services (UNOPS).
Ten million by default
The New York Times exposed widespread financial malpractice within the Farimo-led organization. According to the newspaper, Farimo’s office has disbursed more than $ 60 million in loans and grants to the same British business family.
Of these, three million dollars went to the daughter of businessman David Kendrick to create a pop song and music video about plastic at sea.
One of the funds managed by the office is said to have lost $ 25 million. The UN believes tens of thousands of funds have not been repaid.
– Reality is beyond imagination
British Mukesh Kapila has been associated with international diplomacy for more than 30 years. Ha has served as Special Adviser to Afghanistan, and to the UN in Darfur. Led the missions and has been the UK representative for many years. After receiving warnings from within UNOPS, he began digging himself out And a blog about what he discovered.
– The expressions are very shocking. The reality in this case is beyond imagination. I was angry and my curiosity and my mind led me to investigate this. But that was mostly on the mind. Kapila tells Doc Plate that organizations and leaders who want to help the world are using this system instead.
Grete Faremo assumed leadership of UNOPS in 2014 – then said he wanted to step down as an indirect partner. Faremo’s introductory document was entitled “Hidden Champions – Smart Solutions to Impossible Challenges”.
– Insulted the UN system
The following year, in 2015, according to the New York Times, he met British businessman Kendrick at a party in New York. According to Kendrick’s lawyers, the company is now refinancing the loans it has issued and says “no money has been lost” – the UN. Auditors believe it could lose more than 200 million kroner. Agrees on FNA Press release Investments can be risky.
Breeding after the Huitfeldt report
According to the New York Times, the revelation “shook” and “insulted” the UN body. Kabilan understands that very well. His blog posts include several revelations that eventually came out in the New York Times. And the UN. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for Framo to resign.
The New York Times writes that Kapila’s blog and website Devex ‘ The lawsuits provided the basis for their disclosure.
– Her responsibility is absolute and complete. This has been going on for many years, says Kapila Docbladet.
– I took charge
Formo allows misconduct and he believes they should happen.
Dagbladet confronted Farimo with Kapila’s statements.
– I do not know the whole case, but it happened under my watch and I resigned my post and took charge. Since I no longer lead UNOPS I would be wrong to comment on this matter now. For further comments, I urge you to contact UNOPS ‘Communications Department, she writes in a text message to Dagbladet.
Ukrainian Vitaly Vanschelpoim, deputy commander of UNOPS ‘Ferimo, was suspended from his post by Ferrero in December last year as a result of the investigation.
One way ticket
Mukesh Kapila reacted harshly to Faremo’s statements that he did not know the whole case.
– Then she must have been extraordinarily naive, says Kapila, for a former minister who led such a large organization for eight years.
Kapila, who now teaches at the University of Manchester, was formerly associated with UNOPS. He has funded many of their projects and has been close with the company for many years. As head of UNOPS, Farimo believes he should take more responsibility for the financial failure.
The Ambassador of Norway further stated: – Panicked
– Part of the problem at the UN is that nothing happens when you leave, he says.
The UNOPS related revelations contain many changes related to Norway. Website Filter messages According to Filter, on Friday night it was revealed that former UN ambassador Morten Wetland had been hired as Grete Faremo’s personal adviser, at a much higher rate than the UN’s regular hourly rates.
A Newsletter from April UNOPS has warned that it has begun a comprehensive process to deal with allegations of fraud and mismanagement and that those responsible will be held accountable.
Danish Special Adviser Jens Vandal Farimo has succeeded Interim President of UNOPS.
“Music geek. Coffee lover. Devoted food scholar. Web buff. Passionate internet guru.”
Weather, Oslo | Missed the notification? So, it’s too good to be true
It is forecast to be sunny and warm in southern Norway for the foreseeable future. But in northern Norway the weather turns gray and wet
Trans woman Alexandra Fredvall calls for wardrobes suitable for everyone – NRK Sørlandet – Local news, TV and radio