A year before the municipal and county council elections, a blue Conservative bus set out to campaign in all constituencies of the country.
– Erna Solberg at the front of the Høyre bus says it’s important to raise the election campaign mood early and get municipal politicians thinking about the election campaign now.
TV 2 is involved in the first leg from Oslo to Kristiansand, with around 20 stops along the way.
– We always have the ambition to beat everyone, says Solberg.
A message to the grassroots
Solberg admits that they did not have a good municipal election in 2019, but believes that the conservative party can now take over many municipalities.
– We will win back many Vestfold municipalities like Oslo, Drammen, Bergen, Sandnes, Stavanger and Trondheim.
In his luggage, the former prime minister has a message to give to all Conservative mayors and mayoral candidates.
– It is important that they look at long-term issues that people care about in the municipality, but that are often not “juicy” headlines. For example, improving care for the elderly and increasing housing and school construction where needed, Solberg says.
will come back
Although the general election is not until 2025, Solberg did not rule out that general election campaigning has already begun.
– A good municipal election is a good starting point for a good parliamentary election.
The party leader says he misses the perks of being prime minister, but not the machinery.
– Although it is well organized, there is a lot of administration.
Solberg says PST’s 24-hour monitoring isn’t exhausting.
– You have to learn to live with it. Being tired means having responsibility and constantly having to make a decision, but it’s something you’re happy to do.
– Do you want to do it again?
He says the biggest difference between the life of a prime minister and an opposition politician is resources.
– If you think about something as Prime Minister, you will get a note with facts, pros and cons from the best experts in the country. I don’t have it now.
The new party leader?
The election committee of the Norwegian Conservative Party decided in April this year that he could continue as party leader for another term. But it has not been decided whether he will continue in office till the 2025 general elections.
– It will be up to the Conservative Party to decide who will be leader at that time, but I have the ambition to do so and I am ready.
Still, Solberg won’t stand in the way of “young forward-thinking” candidates.
– I know that being a party leader and doing politics is fun, but I don’t want to be involved in the organization.
Solberg says he gets a lot of support from the party.
– For now, most people say that I should continue, but now I have been re-elected to another position.
– Most people tell you that you should move on. Who do you think should go?
– No, I only said that I wanted to appear humble, without being arrogant, she says with a smile.
Solberg wouldn’t say what kind of job offer required her to consider leaving.
– Last year I got some requests to be a candidate, but no, now I intend to be in Norwegian politics.
– What job opportunities are these?
– I have received some offers for candidacy, but I don’t want to comment on it.
The Conservative Party has Henrik Asheim as 1st Vice-President and Tina Bru as 2nd Vice-President. The party leader is sure that they will be good successors.
– Henrik Asheim and Tina Buru have flourished in the past. They were good party leaders, but they were very different.
At the same time, he points to several party colleagues as good candidates.
– We also have many suitable party leaders, such as Ine Eriksson Zorite and Nikolai Astrup.
The former prime minister says the party has strategies to field progressives in the party going forward.
– Both vice presidents and others in the group will take the lead in many discussions to become well known. When you were the Prime Minister for eight years, I was well known and there was no point in me standing in all the debates.
“Music geek. Coffee lover. Devoted food scholar. Web buff. Passionate internet guru.”