Indonesia: Uprising after battle

Indonesia: Uprising after battle

Dramatic scenes revealed after a soccer match in Indonesia on Saturday, writes Times in Indonesia. Antara news He writes that thousands of fans must have stormed the field after the match between Arema FC and Persebaya Surabaya, which the latter won 2-3.

Police confirmed early Sunday night that 127 people had died during the riots. Inspector General of Police Nico Aventa said that two of these will be police officers Elshinta Radio.

Early on Sunday morning, health authorities in Malang reported that 182 people had died as a result of the riots, the local newspaper wrote. Jatim Hari ini news site.

Storm the stadium: Spectators storm the stadium after the match. Photo: AP/NTB
Show more

Riot police fired tear gas to end the riot, causing many supporters to suffer breathing problems and lose consciousness.

Hundreds of people ran to the exit gate to try to avoid the tear gas. Some suffocated in the chaos and trampled others.

pictures on Twitter It appears that the police used a lot of tear gas to divide the supporters. Photo from Ditic Several wrecked cars appear on the track.

– Victims died from chaos, overcrowding and suffocation, Wyanto Wegoyo at Malang Hospital says in a statement according to the Guardian.

Indonesia’s security minister said the stadium, which has a capacity of about 40,000 people, is overcrowded, according to Reuters. There should be about 3,000 spectators entering the stadium after the match.

Dramatic photos: Police fired tear gas at onlookers.  Photo: AP/NTB

Dramatic photos: Police fired tear gas at onlookers. Photo: AP/NTB
Show more

Indonesian President Joko Widodo on Sunday ordered authorities to conduct a comprehensive review of security at soccer matches after Saturday’s tragedy. This is what Reuters wrote.

The country’s Football Association (PSSI) has also called for La Liga 1 matches to be suspended until the investigation is over, calling for this to be the last “football tragedy” in the country.

Yunus Nosi, the general secretary of the Indonesian Football Association, had not previously commented on the death toll:

We condemn the uprising, but we can’t confirm anything yet. We are waiting for the official report from the police and those in charge of the stadium. We are waiting to confirm whether anyone has died or not, Nosi tells the newspaper.

See also  Sarpsborg, Elitserien: Chief referee Thierry Hauge lies down after a bad tackle
Najuma Ojukwu

Najuma Ojukwu

"Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *