Russian firefighters are struggling to put out a huge blaze in a shopping mall in Moscow. 1 person died.
Russia’s Ministry of Emergency Situations stated that the large fire in Khimki, a suburb of Moscow, started around 6 a.m. on Friday.
7,000 square meters of the Mega Khimki shopping center was affected, and one person died, according to Russian news agencies RIA and TASS.
According to the emergency services, the cause of the fire must be equipment malfunction and a breach of fire safety rules while working, according to the RIA news agency. The police launched an investigation into the fire.
Fire work is complicated by the building’s design, Russia’s Ministry of Crisis Situations reports. Too much oxygen quickly spread the fire over a large area, and the roof of the center collapsed.
Authorities said more than 70 firefighting teams were working at the site.
Videos on social media show flames and smoke billowing from the mall, and people fleeing the building into a parking lot outside.
Emergency services were notified, among other things, that gas bottles and paint cans had begun to explode, the RIA wrote.
Mega Khimki is a large shopping and entertainment center, approximately seven kilometers from Sheremetyevo Airport in Moscow.
Traffic in the area was partially affected, and traffic jams appeared on highways.