Power outage at Brazil hydro power plant: 25 per cent of capacity to be shut down

Power outage at Brazil hydro power plant: 25 per cent of capacity to be shut down

One of four production lines at Hydro’s partially owned aluminum plant, Albras in Brazil, was closed Saturday morning local time. This was stated by the company in the stock exchange announcement.

The blackout in the electrolysis line in El-Brass occurred due to an internal malfunction in the power distribution, which shut down the affected line.

The damaged line produces 110,000 tons of liquid aluminum annually. The other three lines in the head are not affected and are operating as normal.

It will take several months to get started

Albras is the largest aluminum plant in South America and also one of Hydro’s largest. According to Hydro’s information manager, Halvor Moland, it will take several months before the plant returns to full capacity.

– There is now follow-up work as they are working on preparing the line in the best possible way for its start-up. He says that it will take several months to start operating this line.

When you restart the streak, it will happen gradually.

He cannot say anything about the financial consequences at present.

– This will have a financial impact, but it’s too early to estimate the extent, Moland says.

There were no injuries as a result of the power outage and the shutdown of the production line.

– This is the factor that is given the highest priority. There is a danger associated with such an accident. It’s also a factor influencing assessments made along the way, Moland says.

See also  Blackstone believes that the peak of inflation has been reached

owns half

Brass is the largest primary aluminum producer in Brazil, with a total production capacity of 460,000 tons per year. Hydro owns 51 percent, while the remaining 49 percent is owned by Nippon Amazon Aluminum. Ltd.

According to Hydro’s 2020 annual report, Albras’ internal revenue was NOK 3.38 billion that year.

Albras is located in the town of Barcarena in the Pará region of northern Brazil, next to Hydro’s Alunorte alumina refinery.

Norsk Hydro is the fourth largest company on the Oslo Stock Exchange, with a market capitalization of about NOK 160 billion. The company will present fourth-quarter results on Tuesday next week.(Terms)Copyright Dagens Næringsliv AS and/or our suppliers. We would like you to share our cases using a link that leads directly to our pages. All or part of the Content may not be copied or otherwise used with written permission or as permitted by law. For additional terms look here.

Dalila Awolowo

Dalila Awolowo

"Explorer. Unapologetic entrepreneur. Alcohol fanatic. Certified writer. Wannabe tv evangelist. Twitter fanatic. Student. Web scholar. Travel buff."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *