– I am very sensitive. Oda Breivik says that when I sit at school, crying is stressful and all I want is to go home again.
Have you ever felt that when you are sitting alone in your room, everyone around you is having fun with other people?
Or are you sitting at school, surrounded by many people, but still feeling completely alone?
Oda felt this, and she still feels it. Often.
New place, unknown people
Three days before her studies were to begin, she moved from the safety of Loken Werk in Trøndelag to the unfamiliar Molte to begin her nursing studies.
The bags were packed and the family got into the car. Oda was looking forward to feeling a sense of freedom and challenging herself to meet new people.
But the beginning did not go as she wished.
– There was a lot of laughter. I called my mother crying the whole time. I was a little scared that I was here and didn’t know anyone.
There were many impressions and she felt a sense of not being herself. That led to her becoming less involved with Fatteruga.
– I had a chance to participate, but I couldn’t. I was just in school.
Alone, surrounded by people
Almost two months had passed since his studies had begun, and Oda was still not fully settled. She feels lonely at school and at leisure.
– I found mine sitting at school. But I often sit there, a conversation going on around me, but I still feel left out.
About two weeks ago, they had an exercise at school where they had to find a fellow student and share personal things. Then she said, I thought coming to a new city was difficult.
– Then they also had their say. I realized that we can all feel the same way. Everyone has something they struggle with.
Are you feeling lonely?
– Many people who identify themselves
Psychologist Johanne Refseth, known as the person behind the account @psykolog.med.sovepose, says you can identify two types of loneliness.
Both those who have no one to be with you, but:
– You must have other people, but still do not feel part of it. It’s a painful loneliness that isn’t talked about much, but I hear a lot in the therapy room.
She also describes her studies as a time of change. You move away from home, friendships change, and you grow big.
– It is very common to experience loneliness during periods. You should take it seriously, but you should know that it’s common to feel that way.
– Oda describes many things that I think are very common, and I think there are many young people who identify with them, says Johan Refseth.
– Trying to make it harmless
Oda has a goal to challenge herself socially. She believes that it is not enough to thrive in a new city.
– Many people asked if I should bring something, and then I answered that it would be good, but it will stop there.
– Is it because of fear?
– Yes, but I also think they say it to be good. But then I started thinking: “What if they really want to?”. So I try to make it harmless. I might find my girlfriend that way. So I will try harder, says Oda Breivik and smiles.
Do you have any ideas on the matter or any other suggestions I could look into? I want to know!
“Music geek. Coffee lover. Devoted food scholar. Web buff. Passionate internet guru.”