The family had no idea what was hiding behind the wall
Behind a hatch in an apartment in Røa in Oslo, a secret room hid. Inside, Vi Menn reporter Johnny Haglund makes a startling discovery.
What if a stranger is watching you in your most private moment?
The show began one fall evening in 2014. Johnny Haglund got a phone call from fellow caving enthusiast and firefighter Ronnie Arnesen:
There is a hole in the wall in an apartment in Røa. The couple who live there wonder if we can check it out more closely.
The following evening, Haglund and Arnesen stood on the better west side of Oslo with lanterns on their heads.
Here is their story:
house in the dark
The couple pointed the way to a hut in their apartment. Here there was a small hole in the wall.
– We’ve only had a peek here, but can you please take a good look? asked the kind lady.
Ronnie has been crawling in tight holes – above and under water – for several decades, but it was the first time he had crawled into a hole in a block in Roa. pressure through. Follow closely behind me.
On the other side of the wall of the warm and lit apartment, another world appeared. We climbed up on the rock a few meters through a narrow, cold and dark passage. A much larger room appeared in the dark. We let the light sweep along the walls. Suddenly Ronnie exclaimed in surprise.
– Oh damn… Look at that!
In a corner of the room, on the same concrete slab where the living room in the apartment was built, there was a bed. Some clothes were scattered, a candle stood by the bed and a helmet hung on the wall. We found some old newspapers on the floor. The most recent was less than ten years old.
This building was built in the early seventies. Rooney pointed out that this meant that this person, most likely a man judged by clothes, also stayed here while the people lived in the apartment.
A number of things were written on the walls which indicates that the person who was here must have used the room for many years.
“At these times, one might doubt the people of Rome,” Ronnie thought out loud.
But it is unlikely that the Gypsies would have written Norwegian phrases on the wall.
– Ronnie said everything indicated he was a Norwegian who stayed here and shivered a little at the candles and some black marks that seemed to come from a lighter or something.
– He indicated that the person could have burned the whole block.
The hole in the hall
We crawled further into another hole and went down one floor. There was another hole in the ground. A ladder led us to a further landing.
If a stranger has resided here; How did this person get in and out of it?
We found the answer in the basement. Here we opened a wide hatch and looked straight at the stairs.
– So here’s the entrance, said Ronnie. I thought of the times when I was sure I left something at home, but I still couldn’t find it. Then I naturally thought “I should put it somewhere else, but I forgot where”.
But for those who lived here now, and those who lived here before, the reason why things disappeared could be something completely different and even more frightening.
Because what if the stranger finds an entrance to the apartment and is there while the residents are at work, on vacation, or anywhere else?
Ronnie and I let our minds fly, and various horror films from Hollywood came to mind. The difference was that this was the real thing. But after going through all the rooms we found no other connections between the apartment and this room than the hole in the cone. The couple made the apartment themselves during the renovations. but when?
The wife in the house heard about a neighbor with a similar apartment who had expanded his cottage because there was a place behind the wall. She wanted to do the same and so she saw a hole in the wall inside the cone. This is how this secret room was first discovered.
– I wouldn’t be surprised if the lunatic who stayed here was inside the apartment while the couple was out, said Ronnie.
Because if you are able to walk into this room and spend the night on a bed just a few centimeters away from an unsuspecting family – you are certainly able to get into the apartment when they go too.
But why did he stay here? Perhaps he was peeping, because through the wall I heard the couple talking in the living room. I can actually eavesdrop on parts of the apartment.
Read also: (+) Arvid and Ivar and the twins Anis and Aslaug would only take a shortcut on a beautiful May evening – and then the unimaginable happened
There were also small cracks in several places on the walls. If I put my eyes up close, I can see the light on the other side. Was the secret resident lying here watching the residents? If you looked with a flashlight and a magnifying glass over all those square meters of plaster walls, would there be more and more obvious cracks?
It doesn’t take several millimeters of notches, or holes from a small drill, before the crazy ones get to know enough about the privacy of those on the other side of the wall. Or maybe it was someone who just needed a dry place to sleep in the winter and didn’t care about the neighbors?
As we crawled through the narrow opening in the cone and returned to the slightly shocked apartment dwellers, they gave an entirely different interpretation:
– Probably the man behind the wall must have been a laborer who might have worked overtime when the block was built, as the man in the house suggested. He wanted to conclude the whole story with a veil of oblivion.
But how, then, did the newspapers get there after more than 30 years?
Ronnie, who had been a capital fireman all his life, had seen and experienced the most wonderful things that humans could do, and he had no doubts;
– People stayed here, even long after the building was built. Maybe he hasn’t been here ten years ago. Or maybe he was here yesterday.
despite; Shortly after our visit, the couple moved in.
– We need more space, they claimed.
Read also: (+) Thomas (18) is popular and successful in most things – one evening he committed an incomprehensible act
Of course, the new residents were informed about the mysterious room, but they did not put much into it. They left the room as it was. Until one evening the housewife would be alone in the house.
– I heard voices from the room and I was convinced that someone was here, she said when I visited the apartment again about two years later.
The man feared that someone might be inside their apartment while they were away.
– We did not take this matter seriously, he admitted, and shook his head in despair.
Because the hole in the cone inside their apartment has been open since they moved in.
– Only after my wife heard noises from the room recently did I find out how easy it is to get in here, said the man and added:
– It’s actually very easy. The hatch was left open and unlocked. The person or people who knew about this room were able to sneak into our apartment unimpeded only when it suited them.
The day after his wife’s unpleasant experience, he put a large padlock on the hatch.
– Now no one comes here, he pretended and invited me for another tour of the mysterious room.
New French Greetings
On the other side of the wall, everything was as it was when I was here with Ronnie.
Except for two small details.
– Was that on the wall when we were here the first time? , wondered the man’s wife, who also entered. She pointed to a sentence written in French with black marker on the plaster wall. I couldn’t remember seeing this. I didn’t have a picture of this particular part of the wall when I was first here a couple of years ago either.
Perhaps it was because there was nothing written there.
– Heck, that’s new, the couple thinks.
Where’s the bike pump thing that hung on the wall when I was last here? Did you remove it? I asked.
Read also: (+) When Tom turned seven, he received a very special gift from his grandfather – 50 years later he opened it
The couple looked at each other and shook their heads. The wife crawled back to the apartment, and her husband and I crawled down to the basement where the hatch was shut and locked.
– Yes, no one comes here anymore, and the man claimed and pushed the hatch door to make sure it was locked.
Then the hatch opened.
– Someone removed the lock, murmured in uncertainty. Who the hell could this be?
We crawled out of the hatch while the man was studying the hatch door and scratching his head anxiously
– Now everything must be closed and installed again … We have enough tension in Rua now.
This issue was first published on 07/20 2022, and was last updated on 07/21 2022
“Explorer. Unapologetic entrepreneur. Alcohol fanatic. Certified writer. Wannabe tv evangelist. Twitter fanatic. Student. Web scholar. Travel buff.”