NATO is now in response to Russia’s proposal to conclude entirely new security agreements in Europe. The urgent goal is to reduce the extremely tense situation on the border between Russia and Ukraine.
According to VG information, Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg is working closely with NATO member states, with a quick response to Russia’s demands for immediate negotiations, Based on two documents released by Russia on Friday.
There will be an initiative from NATO soon, a central security source tells VG on Friday afternoon.
Settlement is not relevant
VG was informed that NATO considers it inappropriate to compromise with Russia based on Moscow’s demands: President Vladimir Putin wants, among other things, for NATO to withdraw coalition forces from the new member states in the east, and for the Alliance to adhere. Never to grant membership to Ukraine and Georgia.
But at the same time, NATO’s internal assessment is that it would be a mistake to completely ignore Russia.
Several sources confirm to VG that NATO is now reviewing potential constructive proposals for a dialogue with Russia – the most important objective being to reduce tensions and that Russia is withdrawing the invading force that has now scrambled into the border areas with Ukraine.
she has You can read the documents that Russia sent to NATO and the United States.
Foreign Minister Anneken Heitfeldt (Labour) said the government is closely following the situation in Russia and Ukraine:
– We’re more worried than before, Huitfeldt told VG on Friday afternoon.
The general message from NATO is that we are asking Russia to de-escalate. She adds that further escalation can lead to strong reactions.
Heitfeldt met his US counterpart Anthony Blinken in Washington earlier in December. She also recently held talks with the new German Foreign Minister Annalena Barbock.
Internally within NATO, there are currently three actions that are emerging in response to the latest Russian initiative:
1) A new meeting, probably in early January, at a high level between the United States and Russia. This could be done within the framework of the strategic dialogue that started at that time Presidents Joe Biden and Vladimir Putin met in Geneva in June.
2) New invitation from Stoltenberg to meet at NATO and Russia Council, The cooperation body, which has not met for nearly two years, despite a number of attempts by NATO.
3) A major dialogue on security policy between European countries and Russia within the framework of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The reason why NATO refers to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe is that Ukraine also participates there with full rights.
According to the Russian Foreign Ministry, Russia is ready to meet with NATO and the United States for negotiations in Geneva already on Saturday.
According to VG information, NATO is also conducting an internal assessment of its military preparation, based on the fact that Russia has transferred more than 100,000 soldiers and heavy military equipment to areas near the border with Ukraine.
– How should NATO respond to the Russian initiative for new agreements, Hoytfeldt?
– The most important thing is to stand together. Norway’s Minister of Foreign Affairs says that the idea of one country making a decision on security policy towards other countries in a given region is completely unacceptable and across the international system.
At the same time, it confirms the desire to hold a meeting of the NATO-Russia Council.
– We want Russia to say yes to that, Heitfeldt says.
“Coffee trailblazer. Certified pop culture lover. Infuriatingly humble gamer.”