The new Sassuolo player was going through a tough phase Transitional Drama this summer. Then you know it’s important to use the supporters around you to ask for tips and tricks.
He lists his teammates, friends, and family as sources of inspiration and advice.
Father Eric rules, perhaps not surprisingly, atop acolytes.
– I mostly use my dad as a sparring partner. He is a wise man. I want to say it, says Thorstvedt for TV 2 over lunch in Modena.
He doesn’t necessarily have a great deal of knowledge of how things work, but he often has the right words and suggestions to offer, he said.
– like what?
– He always says that no matter what happens, I must think I’m living the dream. Not many people get the chance to sign a five-year contract in Italy and play football in Serie A. There are a few of them, says Thorstvedt.
Recently came across a video of Jose Mourinho from Tottenham’s “All or Nothing” documentary on Amazon Prime.
In the clip, Jose Mourinho, the Tottenham manager, had a conversation in his office with Dele Alli.
He begins by saying that he has always been aware of the player’s potential, but is amazed that he has made such precarious performances lately.
Mourinho asks Alli to come to terms with himself and discover why he has gone from being a star-studded star with the world under his feet, to his inability to achieve at a consistently high level.
– I don’t know if it’s about your lifestyle, if sometimes you’re too professional, other times you’re a party boy. I don’t know. I have no idea. Only you can know, says Mourinho, before he utters the words that have left their mark on Thorstvedt:
– I’m 56 now. and yesterday yesterdayI was 20 years old. Do you know what I mean? Today I am 56 years old. Time passes quickly. Time is running. I believe that one day you will regret not having access to what you can.
I don’t expect you to be the best on the pitch in every game or to score in every game. I just want to tell you that I think you will regret it. You must demand more from yourself. I’m not the one asking you more. not me. number. but you are! Mourinho says: I think you should ask more of yourself.
The clip was from the 2019/20 season, but it went viral this summer when it became clear that Alli had left Everton for Turkish side Besiktas.
The 26-year-old’s career has seen a very negative curve in recent years, and many believe Mourinho had a good point in his warning to the man who has so far stopped in 37 England caps.
– I got it on Twitter because it was about Dele Alli and him “fall from grace”. I think it’s important to think about not having anything to regret and the like, says Thorstvedt.
He thought it was provoking him.
– It’s about being able to enjoy these moments, which you play in Italy. It goes fast. This is what many say. The Rogaland native says it is important to enjoy it.
dreaming of spurs
His transfer to Sassuolo for €10m has brought him one step closer to a big dream: playing for his father’s old club, Tottenham.
– It’s not something I’m thinking about right now, sort of. I just signed up here and am very happy with this choice. Sassuolo is a bad club. But everyone has a dream, of course. It’s one step closer to a dream. Now I first have to prove that I belong here and do a good job here in Sassuolo, says Thorstvedt.
– You are not afraid to hide what the dream is about, are you?
– I grew up as a fan of Tottenham and participated in many matches. It is clearly a dream. I wouldn’t be disappointed if I didn’t end up playing for Tottenham, but it was great to follow in my father’s footsteps.
– Are you able to continue to be a big fan even if you play football in the top five league?
– I think I’m a regular football fan like the rest of the world. I would say that I am a huge supporter of Tottenham.
If Tottenham are to secure Thorstvedt this summer, they will have to pay €20m.
The former Viking player recently told TV 2 he had a special buyout clause for Premier League clubs in the Genk contract he signed in the spring before being later sold to Italy.
Thorstvedt has played at least 20 minutes in all of Sassuolo’s first seven matches in Serie A this season. He started three times and got off the bench four times. So far, he has no goals or assists.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”