ZHANGJIAKOU (VG) Sweden’s brilliant talent William Poromaa (21) – perhaps still best known as the girlfriend of Frida Karlsson (22) – is close to making a major breakthrough.
– William Boruma is almost limitless. I am very impressed. Very impressed. Sweden has rough diamonds in it. Norway coach Eric Mer Nossum tells VG that he thinks I’ll be really good.
Puruma was dubbed “The Savior” by Callie Halvarson a few years ago. Swedish men’s cross-country skiing, save for some bright spots from Jens Bormann, was in a valley of waves after the departures of Johan Olsson, Marcus Hellner and Daniel Rickardsson, among others. At the same time, Halvarson’s results plummeted.
Stream all Olympic training live when you discover +
At the Olympics, Boruma truly gave hope to cross country men’s Swedish again in the future with sixth place in the three-mile race and tenth place in the 15km classic. He was also impressed in the relay where he met Pål Golberg.
– Boruma is very exciting. Had to build cross-country skiing in Sweden a bit on his own, and it’s heavy, but I’m really impressed. He was in good shape at the Olympics. It’s pretty impressive, says Devon Kershaw of Canada, who won gold at the World Cup at Holmenkollen in 2011.
The 21-year-old noted his impressive talent when he finished ninth, ninth and twelfth in the World Cup last year. Among those of Buruma’s age, he is the one who has shown himself best from afar in the fight against the world elite.
But the results at the World Cup have been mediocre so far.
– I always thought I was a championship runner, since I was young. When I had to run big races, I was often in high gear. It’s something that’s been going on in my head since I was little. I can’t quite explain it, Boruma tells VG.
I become a completely different person when I’m in these big competitions, and I know what that means.
He admits that the results at the Olympics and the World Cup were a bit surprising for him. Especially the good races in the Olympics on the rise have impressed many.
– I should have the same motivation in the World Cup as in the World Cup and the Olympics, says Boroma
What is missing from your access to the podium?
– I feel it’s the time I need. I feel like I’m improving and taking new steps all the time. I’m not worried. Boroma from Åsarna says the past two years have been too fast for me.
He went to Ski High School in Sollefteå. There he became friends with Frieda Carlson, who is one year older. To date, Carlson has been the most impressive on the ski slope and has received the most attention. Buruma received many questions about his “girlfriend”, but the Olympic days in Zhangjiakou were much happier for him.
Saturday morning Norwegian time walk five miles. Carlson, who was downstairs and delivered disappointing results, is three miles away.
– I didn’t reach my goals. Carlson writes on Instagram it’s kinda heavy, damned, and heavy now, but there are so much worse things in life.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”