On Saturday, Frenkie de Jong started on the bench for Barcelona in the opening game of the league against Rayo Vallecano.
When the Dutchman was substituted after 60 minutes, he showed many good qualities and participated strongly in Barcelona’s attacking play.
TV 2 sports commentator believes the 25-year-old will be important to Barcelona if he stays at the club.
– Something happened when he entered. He is good at finding solutions in difficult situations as Barcelona struggle to create space. He joins the attack and gets left behind, says Mina Fenstad-Berg, going on a sneaky run.
He has enough quality to be an important player for this team. I am convinced that Xavi also sees that this player can be used.
De Jong has been linked with Manchester United all summer, but despite the fact that the Premier League club has had his offer accepted, it doesn’t look like De Jong wants to move himself.
But the Spanish club is in dire need of funds to register players before next season.
The sale of the player de Jong would help Barcelona in the financial situation in which he found himself.
– He’s not playing a perfect match, but we see something he can offer and I think Barcelona should take advantage of it. Fenstad-Berg explains why he would be a scapegoat if he didn’t want to join Manchester United, it’s utterly ridiculous.
– silly situation
Football expert Simin Stamsø Muller believes that De Jong’s important and good contributions are making the situation worse for the club.
– I got feelings for Iniesta for the first time. Frenkie de Jong is a key player for Barcelona now. Stamsø Muller says he has to start the next game if he’s still at the club.
Is it just about financing?
I like to think that what he does on the field also has something to say. It would have been a lot easier if it wasn’t as good as it was when he came in. Now a serious elephant is in the room.
Barcelona president Joan Laporta has reportedly denied that the club is trying to take De Jong out of the club in order to raise money.
The football expert describes the whole situation as absurd.
– It’s absolutely ridiculous that they end up in a situation where one of the best midfielders in the world has to go for the scores to rise.
But even if the club wants to sell the Dutchman, Stamsø Muller and Fenstadt Berg believe De Jong will remain at the club for next season.
– He goes to Barcelona at a time when he is bad and he is good and when they are good he has to leave. “I think it’s quite a Python setting and I hope it stays,” says Stamsø Muller.
– We’ll have to find out if it will cost him a cut in his salary. It’s a very strange situation for the club and the player and Xavi has a great player in front of him.
“Explorer. Unapologetic entrepreneur. Alcohol fanatic. Certified writer. Wannabe tv evangelist. Twitter fanatic. Student. Web scholar. Travel buff.”