(Djurgården – Molde 3–2) Emil Breivik (22) appeared to hold a point for his Molde, but in overtime Joel Asoro secured Djurgården’s victory. The extra-time result – and a grueling second-half opener – meant Molde had a tough start to the group stage of the Conference League.
Molde entered the first half with a 1-0 lead, but then everything collapsed for the elite captain within a few minutes. Djurgarden equalized first, before Molde jewel David Datro Fofana (19) was sent off after receiving his second yellow card. He took first place after Djurgården fans were silenced after he scored a penalty kick.
– It’s not necessary at all. That shouldn’t happen. I can have a conversation with Vova. He will learn that. That’s not the way we should be getting it, Moldy coach Erling Mo tells Viaplay.
And as if that weren’t enough, Djurgaarden took a 2-1 lead on Fofana’s free kick when he received a red card.
Molde went up a quarter of an hour before the end, and Emile Breivik scored 2-2. In overtime, Joel Asuro fought 3-2 and with it Sweden’s victory.
1 / 5
The 2-3 loss meant Molde had a difficult start to the group stage of the Conference League. Djurgarden has four points, the same as Gent after beating Shamrock Rovers 3-0. Both Moldy and Irish have one point.
– I think we have good control now that we are ten men. It’s a shame it’s coming. We share their leadership. We make a few, plus score one goal. Then it’s hard to get it right in the end, birth coach Erling Mo tells Viaplay.
Watch the full interview with Erling Moe.
The drama began in earnest when national team player Ola Brynhelsen slipped in front of the corpse of former Bran stopper Jesper Lofgren, before collapsing to the ground. After a few seconds of contemplation, the referee pointed to the penalty mark to the despair of the Djurgården players.
Replays showed friction, but it was just outside the box.
– Calling as I see it from the outside, but Brynhildsen is smart. He pushes forward another half step, before going to the floor. He manages to cheat the referees enough that they award a penalty. Clever by Brynhildsen, said Viaplay expert and Lillestrøm profiler André Helland.
– Here, Molde should be glad that VAR technology is not being practiced, as VIF sports director Joachim Johnson unanimously said in the first half.
Look at the situation here.
Guilty-born David Datro Fofana (19) was a cold-blooded penalty kick. Djurgarden goalkeeper Alexander Vasgoten threw himself in the right direction, but did not reach Fofana’s ball to the bottom of the post.
Djurgården fans did what they could to get rid of Fofana, but to no avail. The Ivorian player responded by booing the home team’s fans after the goal, which led to the referee receiving a yellow card.
It will turn into my destiny. After Amadou Domboya drew 1-1, Fofana received his second yellow card after a duel with the goalkeeper of Radtenak. Contact was minimal.
– I can’t see that’s yellow. It is a miscalculation by the referee. You can’t give a yellow card for that. Erling Mo says it will then be “fifty-two people to shower” and early to shower for many.
In the same free kick, Djurgården took advantage of a sleeping Molde team. In the end, Emmanuel Banda managed to score 2-1 on his own with Molde goalkeeper Jacob Karlstrom.
Watch the goal here.
However, Molde by no means gave up. After suffering so much in the opening second half, they rose up in stubbornness with one less man on the field.
A quarter of an hour before the end, they scored a goal when Emil Breivik finished off a counterattack by shooting the ball between the legs of Djurgorden Vasgoten’s goalkeeper.
They were also chasing 3-2, but instead they had to score in overtime.
Molde’s defense was unable to clear a cross. In the end, Joel Asoro won 3-2 and Djurgården won.
See the result of additional work here.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”