Magic Eraser has always been touted as a feature exclusive to the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro, but it already appears that owners of all Pixel models can use the function as long as the phone is running Android 12.
So far, Android 12 is only available on Pixel phones and other devices running a beta version of the operating system.
Very fast editing
This approach has already been tested by AndroidPolice on Pixel 5, 5a, 4 XL, and 4a using Google Photos APK, all with great results as the tool is used to remove distracting elements in the image, as shown below:
Heres how to do it
The trick is to run a sideload of the latest version of the Google Photos app from the Pixel 6. Follow the steps below to get the Magic Eraser:
- Download Split APKs Installer (SAI) from Google Play Store
- download APK file for Google Photos
- Then open the program from the first step in this list, SAI. Then tap “Install APK files”, then “System file picker”. When you are asked for permission to access files on your device, you accept this.
- Further, you need to find and select the Google Photos .apks file you downloaded in step #2 which you can find under Recent files or During Downloads
- Press “Install” and grant access to install unknown software.
- Press “Update” when prompted
- Open Google Photos and search for Magic Eraser, where you will get an overview of how to use the tool.
It’s uncertain if Google will prevent the use of Magic Eraser on phones other than the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro, but this method works so far.
“Web specialist. Lifelong zombie maven. Coffee ninja. Hipster-friendly analyst.”