Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, 53, prefers to focus on extending the club’s contract rather than talking about getting someone new before the window closes.
Despite the pandemic, the contenders acted aggressively at the start of the series in the Premier League. The last of the row is Chelsea, who yesterday was able to introduce Romelu Lukaku. Manchester City have signed Jack Grealish, while their city rivals have signed Jadon Sancho.
Klopp has preferred cold water over the years for those with little hope of a big fish also appearing on Merseyside before shutting the window in a couple of weeks.
– We can’t compete with them on this. We can’t spend money we don’t have. “But we did well even though we had limitations before,” Klopp said during Friday’s press conference ahead of the league’s opening game against Norwich.
Chelsea blows up the bank for Lukaku – becomes the club’s most expensive player
At the same time, he realizes that he was not surprised by the shopping spree.
– In February 2020, no one knew it was going to last that long, and it’s still tough. But if you were surprised? No, because these clubs are not dependent on operating the way we run. Klopp said: “We all know the situation that City, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain are going through. It took me long enough to understand that they make things happen, no matter what situation they’re in, before he quickly adds:
– We drove according to our model all the way. We spend the money we earn. But this year we actually spent money before we earned it. We saw last year that we couldn’t take risks at the station, and so we signed Ibrahima Konate.
Although deals appear to be missing, Klopp believes they have done a solid job this summer in extending the contracts of a number of key players.
It’s important for us to keep the team together, even if it’s not exciting for the fans. But if you’re a Liverpool fan, you’re happy with what we’ve delivered in recent weeks. “We are now better equipped than we were last year,” says Klopp.
On Friday morning, it was reported that goalkeeper Virgil van Dijk has extended his contract with Merseyside FC until the summer of 2025. Naturally, Klopp is happy enough to continue with the Dutch captain.
– It’s great news. We’re glad he’s thriving here, and now he’s back in full force after a turbulent last year. Imagine how hard it is to buy it now, says Klopp, in response to those who are demanding new signings.
Defensive Captain Van Dijk returns: – He can only imagine how vengeful he would be
And for those who are concerned about what Van Dijk looks like at the start of the series, it comes with good news. Thus, it may be among the cards for Van Dijk to start when he waits for Norwich on Saturday night.
Virgil had a significant amount of playing time during the preliminary period, and he could have stood at the end of the game entirely. We chose not to, but Virgil is doing well.
When Norwich is in the opposite half of the field at 18.30 on Saturday evening, the attempt to reclaim the throne in English football begins. Klopp predicts that the battle for the league gold will be tougher than ever.
Last year, City were far ahead. We were the same the year before. Chelsea does not hide his ambitions, nor does United. But we don’t do that either. We will fight for everything,” says Klopp, who has also bragged to Leicester and West Ham.
– We’re ready for a real match. From here you will start.
Great Fantasy Premier League Guide: Everything you need to know ahead of the new season
Klopp says only Andy Robertson will not be available in the next few weeks.
Curtis Jones had some minor issues, but he’s available again. I have to make some hard choices before the game. We had almost the entire team on hand for most of the lead up. It is a relief. Henderson and Thiago came in late, so the runners-up started last week. But Jurgen Klopp says we are preparing for a long season.
Do you want to follow Liverpool closely? VG + Sport has acquired the rights to broadcast LFCTV this season.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”
Al Riyadi: These are the transfer plans for United and Ten Hag
Haaland answers about the city’s future: – Good question
John Arne Riise debuts for Avaldsnes at Level 6 – NRK Rogaland – Local News, TV & Radio