With ten minutes remaining, Ingrid Serstad-Engen played the ball into the back room, but England goalkeeper Eli Roebuck sprinted out of the goal.
Last chance completely missed the ball in clearance. Thus Frida Manum got the easiest task, putting the ball into the open net. 1-1!
– We get it as a gift. It’s absolutely unbelievable that a goalkeeper can miss that ball, says NRK expert Karl-Erik Torp.
– Our goal is great achievement. With speed in their legs and with their push, they also make mistakes. It’s good to have him with you, Hege Riise tells NRK.
Close to the opening of the dream
The last time Norway met England was a nightmare of the rare kind. The British won 8-0, and the Norwegian women’s soccer team suffered the largest loss in history.
Since then, Norway has dumped the then national team coach, Martin Sjögren and replaced him with Haig Ries.
Tuesday’s affair was a great opportunity for Norway to get revenge, and 20 minutes later they were about to get it.
Emily Hafey grabbed the ball from an oblivious Le Tissier on the left. In front of the goal, Ritten was ready, but with his right foot the captain put the ball to the left of the goal.
Just minutes later, Rachel Daly was left unmarked. Daly easily headed it 1-0 into Britain’s first big chance.
– We miss our timing a bit. We knew that in order to rise, we had to reach for it. Then we don’t click on it, and we get a post. There are enough people out there, but we can’t catch that header, says the national team manager of the late goal.
Reaction to the red card
Sarina Wiegman’s women continued to create constant dangers on the left flank for Norway, but Norway pulled away.
– I am so happy. I think we had counter-attacks in the first half that smelled a bit burnt. We miss the target, but we fight back very well. I think the Five Defense Formation works very well. They make very little off target in the first. Well-controlled, Riise sums up the first half.
England clearly came out on top after the break, but Norway started to dream early in the second half. England gave a free chance to Sophie Romain-Hugg, but the striker could not take sufficient care of it.
In the 70th minute, Anya Sonstivold received her second yellow card of the evening.
Nikita tore Paris unnecessarily and had to leave the court.
– That’s not necessary. It is easily cut. I noticed it was late. She simply forgot she actually had yellow, says NRK soccer expert Carl-Erik Torp.
Rice sees the red card as a good education.
– As long as we get a good result, we consider it extreme learning. But we are under pressure after the red card, as you say.
With ten minutes left in the match, the England goalkeeper made a huge mistake. As mentioned, Ma’noum took advantage of putting the ball into the open net. Thus it ended in a draw with Norway in the Special International Match.
– Good end to this year’s gatherings. I think it’s an honest fight. We work for whole minutes, never for stitching, and we work for each other, says Rice.
In general, the national team manager is satisfied with the rally in Spain.
– Meeting these teams is a reference we aspire to obtain. Builds confidence. She concluded by saying that the players show that everyone wants to score, and we show strong spirits in all matches.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”