– It was a gradual process. At first I didn’t understand anything. I topped the level at the World Cup in Oberstdorf. But after the World Cup, I wasn’t willing to sacrifice anything else, says Lundby, who won her first-ever World Cup gold in a women’s big hill.
It is not uncommon for them to gain weight after a season. But this time it was more than usual.
The body responded very differently than it did before, she said.
I didn’t understand why I gained weight. Experts were early in the case. We’ve had a conversation since March. I’ve had a good follow up – and have had tests done – to rule out different things. It’s been an ongoing process, says Lundby, who pulled out of “Skal vi danse” on Saturday.
The cause: sore toes.
All indications are that she suffers from what has also affected other top athletes who have been involved in “weight ache”. The body gets a reaction. You enter a state in which you lie down.
– It is a reaction to the fact that things are not the same as before. Nobody has a good answer for why, says the 27-year-old.
– What I’ve heard is that it’s common in so-called weight sports. I am not alone in experiencing this. This in itself is security for me. The medicine that treats it is taking time, not stress – and letting the body repair itself.
Do you know any cases of jumping sport?
– I think I do, not to mention names. You also have examples in aesthetic sports such as rhythmic gymnastics. Lundby refers to people who had to perform at a young age.
– Those who have tried the same, give me advice to use time well. They say it will work. But I have to take the time to help.
When Lundby realized the Olympic season was in full swing, she appeared on Dagsrevyen.
– I have a lot of questions in advance. I felt like I was walking around holding a secret. I knew in my heart that the Olympics would be tough. Then I couldn’t find any reason to keep the secret anymore.
– There were some tears in dajesrefen?
– Yes, it was painful to talk about him. I’m sorry the season goes by without me. These are the skate leaps I want to be.
It is still keeping its door open with a view to participating in some World Cup races. But she sees, first and foremost, winter as training for the future.
The dream is to jump on a flying ice.
– I’ll make a plan for how I’m going back. We haven’t done that yet. I don’t know anything else. But it will be a different winter. I will work and study too.
She returned to Lillehammer after a period in Oslo. Participation in “Skal vi danse” was perhaps a hope to save the Olympic season. This is not how it went.
Lundby has been praised for being open about what happened. She succeeded in “Shall We Dance”, but admits that she will never become the world champion in dance. In the end, she had to opt out of TV 2.
– What happened?
– I felt like I was starting to have pain in my leg. I had a tension reaction on two of my toes. It’s not a breach, but it could be in the long run. I didn’t get a chance to do what I was supposed to do, so it just became hopeless.
Lundby and dance partner Philip Rabe joked that she might have to dance in a wheelchair. It was with humor. Crutches, on the other hand, still have to go another week.
There is still slight pain in the left leg. I walk with crutches so as not to hurt anymore. It will likely be a few weeks before I gradually return to normal activity. Training should continue to be priority number one.
Do you keep the door ajar for the World Cup?
It is foolish to shut the door completely if the body suddenly begins to respond.
You have two World Cup golds and one Olympic gold. What drives you the most?
– First of all flying skiing. It is difficult to give up, if this appears on the program next year. She says it motivates me.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”