– We forced the goals and that was a pity for the defender. We got better in the second half. It wasn’t a great night but that’s crucial in this intense period, especially these games. We must win it,” says Jürgen Klopp to Lian Age Vjortoft after the match.
That gives a temporary sixth place, two points behind fourth-placed Tottenham, when 2022 goes into the history books.
– We were a bit lucky in the first half, we were very negative and we got in deep, and it never helped. That was exactly what Lester wanted. We played directly into their hands. We were very open minded.
I shopped the Gakpo before the price got too high
A Christmas present for Liverpool fans, Cody Gacbo, was present at Anfield and watched the match. Although the 23-year-old isn’t fully unpacked and ready, the timing of the purchase seems good.
– We took a good look at it. It wasn’t the right time to do it in the summer because it would have been too expensive, so we thought we’d do it now. He can play many positions. I’m so excited about it.
Lewandowski also struggled in the beginning
Just over a month separates the Dutchman from summer signing Darwin Nunez. The latter was again in focus when Liverpool salvaged victory on the penultimate day of the year, just days after Klopp had equalized with the Polish goal machine.
– It’s not fair to compare attackers with Lewandowski, but his start was very bad, he missed big chances in training, but in these moments, as long as the attackers get chances, that’s fine.
– It would have been appropriate for the situation to go to the tavern and hang out, but this time he was a little lucky. But I can’t see many attackers who had that chance to be honest, because that speed is just too intense. This pass to Mo in the second half, wow. Exceptional.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”