Victor Hovland (24) scored nine birds on day three of the PGA Tour in Mexico. In doing so, the Norwegian leads the championship by two strokes before the final and decisive day.
– You become completely stupid. I totally put off golf here. Commentator and former PGA pro Henrik Bjørnstad said on the Discovery+ broadcast that he’s absolutely wild.
Victor Hovland won last year’s PGA Tour edition in Mayakoba, Mexico, and is now ready to repeat last year’s achievement.
After nine birds and 62 laps on day three of the championship, a new best record for the Norwegian, he leads by two strokes all the way to Talor Gooch and three strokes down to Justin Thomas.
I obviously got off to a good start. Hovland told the PGA after the round that it was nice to have one of those rounds where you can keep going all day, rather than slowing down at the end, where there’s a tough gap.
Hovland opened Birdie’s account on hole 2, and followed it up with new birds on holes 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 17 and 18. The Norwegian finished the third day nine under par for the day and a par 19 stroke total for the championship.
Hofland’s previous best record was 63 rounds of the Travelers’ Championship in 2020 and only the third round in Mexico last year.
After his run, Indian golfer Anirban Lahiri thought the Norwegian could hit 59 strokes. The Norwegian wasn’t quite sure, even after the new best-of-the-best list.
– It’s hard to say. Hovland concluded: I got the most out of my game today.
Golf expert Henrik Bjørnstad was anyway very impressed with the 24-year-old’s spin.
Perhaps the most impressive tour to date of his professional career, Henrik Bjørnstad commented on Discovery+.
The last day will be broadcast on Sunday on Eurosport 1 and Golf TV from 20.00.
There, the Norwegian goes out with, among others, Justin Thomas, who has 14 wins on the PGA Tour.
– He’s a great player and I expect nothing less from him playing well tomorrow. Hovland answered questions about tomorrow, I have to play some of the best golf, and I’ll have a chance to win.
note! Victor Hovland’s three lowest on the PGA Tour:
- 63 strokes, the opening round of the 2020 Travelers Championship.
- 63 strokes, third round at Mayakoba in 2020.
- 62 strokes, third round in Mayakoba this year.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”