Maren Lundby is back at the World Cup Finals, more than 600 days after the last international competition, on what turned out to be a big Norwegian day.
Selji Obsyth had been dreaming about the start of the season.
– This builds self-confidence which I can take with me more. Now I can lower my shoulder, Opseth tells NRK, who struggled to keep his nerves in check before the start.
Fortunately, the jumping queen Lundby is back, and that helped.
under the radar
Opseth had major problems sleeping before Saturday’s ski jump. She was excited and felt uncomfortable in her body.
– I didn’t sleep much last night. I can get nervous a lot and my stomach sag, but it’s nothing new. There are usually sleepless nights, but fortunately, that’s a good thing that hones the system, she said.
Lundby’s return has helped, if Opseth is to be believed.
– It’s always good to be on the ground, and it’s okay to go a little under the radar and play. She says I feel a little more calm around me, I appreciate it.
What does Lundby’s return mean to the team?
– That means we have a stronger team, first of all, and it’s always good to have him on the field. So I think that means more to him. Opseth says you can see her in her, she’s wandering around like a sunbeam.
Jumping director, Claes Brady Brathin, believes Lundby’s return was a recipe for Obsyth’s success.
– We know that Silje has a very high potential, which I strongly trust today. Perhaps it would have been useful to have Marin with you. We didn’t dream it would be good, but we hoped it would, he tells NRK.
Opseth is now receiving praise from all sides, and her teammate Lundby believes she’s gotten good enough to fight for the top spots in every race.
Maren Lundby is proud of her teammate, but surprised.
– It’s completely raw. She gives birth immediately. I never doubted it, but what impressed me was that it did the trick right from the start, Lundby tells NRK.
– What do we expect from him in the future?
– I think it’s more stable than it used to be. The upper class managed to win. If she can hold out, she can fight at the top the whole time. Lundby says I believe in Selji this year.
Even coach Christian Mayer is surprised by the delivery from the Norwegians.
– It’s so wonderful. The total is a bit surprising, and we won. I was hoping for the top five. I have to pinch myself, says Meyer.
– There was nothing to bother him. It’s cool, and then at least we did something right in the resource period. It’s easy, before we start directing our focus forward again, he says.
Maren Lundby set herself the goal of being 15th. Even as she finished 16th, having finished 12th after the first round.
– It shouldn’t be about effort. I think it was actually pretty good. I had aimed for the top 15, I was 16, and 12 after the first round. She says I have to say I am satisfied.
However, she believes that it is special not to fight for the top positions, and that it affects the level of excitement.
– It was so nice to be back. There are a lot of nerves involved with showjumping, but I have to work a little bit to get that thrilled. Other than that, I am very happy to be back. I look to the future.
Coach Meyer is proud of Lundby.
– I really like Marin, what you offer today. It’s a very good standard, says Meyer.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”