– It’s hard to stop, but being careful in carrying oysters can delay and control the problem, he says Lars-Johann Nastwall, researcher at the Marine Research Institute.
Recently, researchers tested a small batch of oysters on Skagerrak. The discovery was made on Westfold and Telemark beaches.
20 percent of the tiles were affected by feces from the brush ground. This is the first time such extensive infections have been detected in Norway.
Similar findings were reported in the Swedish sea area last year.
Bad news for oyster lovers
Pacific oysters are considered a delicacy by many. Every year, millions of tons are sold worldwide.
In Norway, it is widespread in Oslo Fjord and Sorlandet. Here it is considered an unwanted species.
Soil contamination makes oysters unfit for human consumption.
Tom Arild Pettersen is a seller and buyer at the fish shop Reinhartsen. The This is the first time he has heard of the problem.
He says there is cause for concern if it becomes a widespread problem.
– This has led to a ban on sales in recent years.
He says the Pacific oyster is popular because people prefer local and short-distance food.
Black discoloration and odor
Companies that sell oysters to restaurants will be affected, says Stein Mortensen, a senior researcher at the Marine Research Institute.
– If deliveries of bad oysters are high, restaurants will eventually not have them. As it spreads, the value decreases.
BThe stench and appearance of oysters is exacerbated by infection.
– If you unfortunately pierce a blister with your knife, it smells like rotten eggs, says Nostvol.
Fear that the field will spread to southern Norway
Once the soil has entered a population it is likely to infect the surrounding oysters.
One way to reduce soil compaction is not to move the shell from one area to another.
– There is a risk that the refinery will not be adequate, then there is a risk One spreads the field to other people.
Naustvoll says we need to map out now how big the problem is.
“Music geek. Coffee lover. Devoted food scholar. Web buff. Passionate internet guru.”