Just three weeks ago, when Real Madrid were preparing to face Manchester City in the Champions League semi-final second leg, Mbappe’s signature was mentioned almost without reservation.
After several years of hunting, Real Madrid are finally starting to work together on their first ‘galactico’ in nine years, since Gareth Bale, if someone rules out giant flop Eden Hazard.
The layout of the club has been designed in recent years according to Mbappe. It was in order to finance The Beast’s signature that they, among other things, allowed Martin Odegaard to go to Arsenal, which is why they couldn’t go any further to get Erling Braut Haaland.
After several quiet summers, Real Madrid fans should finally welcome the best soccer player in the world.
This could be the week Real Madrid met Liverpool in the Champions League final in Mbappe’s hometown – with the golden calf set in the stands as a symbol of the club’s future.
Instead, Real Madrid travel to the French capital with great aversion. It is no exaggeration to claim that Saturday’s transfer market defeat will be more pressing for President Florentino Perez than a possible final loss to Liverpool next Saturday.
But it is not the powerful Real Madrid coach who has been covered in the Spanish media after Mbappe opted to sign a new three-year contract with PSG.
“The betrayal that will follow Mbappe for life” was the headline of famous MARCA journalist Jose Felix Diaz in a brutal commentary in Spain’s biggest sports newspaper on Monday.
“The man who did not keep his word”
He believes that Real Madrid did everything in their power to attract the player that the fans dreamed of. The criticism is directed exclusively to the French.
– For a year and a half he promised something that he was not able to fulfill. It doesn’t matter what his arguments are. It must be the same. Diaz now writes that it is not the 18-year-old boy who was skeptical about whether he would ever leave his comfort zone.
His goal was for the last time Mbappe was on the verge of a move to Real Madrid, when the choice fell to PSG after a brilliant start to his career in Monaco.
– Now he is a mature footballer with a personality, who has repeatedly lied to Real Madrid, to the club, to the institution. Not only for the management of the club led by Florentino Perez, but for millions and millions of fans, writes Marca’s pen.
He asserts that Mbappe will become the best soccer player in the world, but believes the 23-year-old has tarnished his reputation:
– He will be remembered as one of the biggest traitors in world football. This is how one should look at the person who influenced all the decisions made by Real Madrid in the past two years by making false promises head on.
According to Diaz, Mbappe’s legacy in Madrid will be “the man who did not keep his word”.
Mom’s reply on Twitter
He is not the only journalist and friend of Real Madrid who has accused the Mbappe camp of lying. The same was done by French journalist Frédéric Hermel, who has lived in Madrid for decades and is known to be a close friend of coach Carlo Ancelotti and Zinedine Zidane’s cinema.
“In football, there are people who keep their word, and then there is Mbappe,” Hermel wrote in a tweet.
He received an answer from Mbappe’s mother, Faiza Al-Amari:
“Mister Hermel. When you don’t know, shut up. No promise was ever made. I wish you well.”
In the French press, Mbappe’s contract extension is celebrated on the front pages of newspapers. On Sunday, the headline of the country’s biggest sports newspaper L’Equipe was “France – Spain 2-0” after Lyon beat Barcelona in the Women’s Champions League final on the same day that PSG beat Real Madrid in the search for Mbappe.
On Monday, Mbappe once again made the front page of the newspaper, this time with the headline “The New Tender”. The signing is expected to lead to sweeping changes at PSG. The first is already ready, according to many French media: Leonardo, who was famous for a strained relationship with Mbappe, was dismissed from the position of sporting director.
Others will suffer
L’Equipe football commentator Vincent Deluce does not express himself as sharply as his colleague at Spain’s Marca.
Duluc describes Mbappé’s decision as the first time a player in demand worldwide has chosen to remain in Ligue 1.
– Tremendous news for the first division, Dulock wrote, but stresses that it is not only positive.
For those who support a more equal league where teams other than PSG have the opportunity to fight for the title steadily, Mbappe’s decision is bad news, Duluc notes.
– Mbappe writes that if he thinks he will continue to grow at PSG, others will suffer.
– It was said last year that Mbappe, being another year old, might get the chance to play with Lionel Messi. Now the world has changed, and everyone in Ligue 1 knows it: Messi is really lucky to have been allowed to play another season with Mbappe.
On Monday night, Mbappe was a guest on 20 newscasts on France’s TF1 channel, France’s response to Dagsrevyen.
There he confirmed that he had received inquiries from both President Emmanuel Macron and former President Nicolas Sarkozy, who encouraged him to stay at Paris Saint-Germain.
I respect Real Madrid and Florentino Perez. They did everything for me and tried to please me. So, I had to contact him personally. Mbappe says: We had a close relationship.
Saturday: Liverpool – Real Madrid 4K
TV 2 play
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”