– It means a lot, to be honest. It’s the third time we’ve been here and we haven’t managed to win it yet. That was our primary motivation in the beginning, says Trent Alexander-Arnold after Community Shield.
We have prepared very hard this season, that was our goal. Our season started today. For many teams, the league starts next week when the league starts, but our league started today. It was important for us to get off to a good start, get a win, and in particular get some titles.
Opened the year with a goal
The right-back opened the scoring after 21 minutes when Mohamed Salah hit the ball in his favour. However, City’s Nathan Ake passed the end before it ended up on the score sheet.
– It was the goal, that’s all I want to say! I tried to shoot well, I tried to point it towards the goal. I veered, not much, but I’m always happy to contribute goals and it was an important one for us too.
Núñez has made an impression, and what a debut
Just before the final whistle, Darwin Nunez put the nail into the coffin. A perfect Saturday in July.
– A big player. The young player you can see is ready to learn. He established good relations with the boys, and everyone reconciled with him.
– He came and bowed his neck and worked hard so far and realized the position wouldn’t be his just because we bought him this summer, it should be worth it. Today came with something to prove.
In addition, the striker, who came in after 59 minutes, got the penalty kick that Mohamed Salah converted to make it 2-1. It’s easy to say this was one of Liverpool’s most memorable engagements.
– He should be there, he won a penalty, scored a goal and was alone for a while. It looks very lively, and very lively. He’s someone who was brought in to score goals, whether that type of player is for us and he’s proven he can do that today.
It’s a long season
So far everything looks good. Goals from behind, the new striker works, the same with top scorer Mohamed Salah, Thiago Alcantara was the maestro in the middle again, Jordan Henderson finally lifted the trophy.
Once again, more lengthy duels between Manchester City and Liverpool are expected in 2022/23.
– Who knows what will happen during the season? All we can do is prepare as well as we have this pre-season. Our goal is to be in as good shape as possible, to be able to go from the first kick of the season to the last, as we did last year, and hopefully to win as many titles along the way.
Tonight, the Reds meet Strasbourg at Anfield. The last pre-season match before the Premier League returns next weekend.
It starts at 20:30 and you can watch it on LFCTVGO or VG + Sport.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”