“Ukraine today informed the IAEA that Russian forces, which had been in control of the nuclear power plant since February 24, transferred control in writing to Ukrainian personnel,” the IAEA wrote in a statement. press release.
Ukrainian nuclear energy company Energoatom has attached a picture of what the agreement will look like cable.
According to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Russian forces are transporting two military convoys to Belarus. It was said that a third convoy left the town of Slavutych, where many employees of the nuclear power plant live.
The Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Mariano Grossi, will provide more information on the situation on Friday.
The United Nations is now preparing to send nuclear experts to the region when Russian forces exit, according to Reuters. Some Russian soldiers are still at the decommissioned facility, according to reports from the International Atomic Energy Agency and Ukrainian nuclear power company Energoatum.
– occupiers Take control of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant And other facilities in exclusion zoneThis is stated in a statement issued by the Ukrainian nuclear energy company Energoatom via Telegram, according to a statement issued by the Ukrainian nuclear energy company Energoatom.
He must have left the airport
Russian forces are also reported to have left Hostomil airport northwest of Kyiv. Several US media reported, citing sources in the US Department of Defense.
Pictures from Hostomel posted on Reddit show large areas destroyed. The NRK verified image shows the area about four kilometers from the airport.
Early in the invasion, elite Russian airborne forces occupied the airfield, which later incurred heavy losses when Ukrainian forces temporarily recaptured the airport.
NATO expects more attacks
NATO announced earlier today that it does not see any withdrawal of Russian forces, and expects more attacks.
– According to our intelligence, the Russian forces are not withdrawing. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg says they are regrouping and strengthening their offensive in the Donbass region.
He says they are regrouping to come back stronger in Ukraine.
Russia has repeatedly lied about its intentions, and we can judge them only by what they actually do, Stoltenberg said when he presented NATO’s annual report for 2021 on Thursday.
It is believed that the Russian forces were forced to retreat
Stoltenberg’s comments are backed by the Pentagon, which has previously stated that it suspects the Kremlin is using peace talks with Ukraine to allow time to move its troops.
In Kyiv and Chernev, among other places, attacks from Russian forces appear to have continued despite Russia saying it would scale back its operations in these areas, he writes. BBC.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky also dismissed reports of a voluntary Russian withdrawal on Thursday, claiming that it was Ukrainian forces forcing them to retreat, NTB wrote.
According to a senior military official, the Russian forces have changed their tactics, and now avoid direct combat, but prefer long-range attacks.
Zelensky: Thousands were killed in Mariupol
According to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, thousands of people were killed in the besieged city of Mariupol, according to Reuters.
“Everyone understands that there is a humanitarian catastrophe in the city,” the president said.
After weeks of bombing, a new truce was held in the port city.
According to Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Irina Vereshuk, Russia and Ukraine have agreed to create a humanitarian corridor today.
It says buses are on their way to the Ukrainian city of Mariupol. There they will try to evacuate civilians. According to AFP, 45 buses are on their way.
The humanitarian situation in Mariupol described as catastrophic.
Mariupol is among the cities in Ukraine that were badly affected by the Russian invasion. The port city is surrounded by Russian troops.
Tens of thousands of civilians still live in the city, which has been under attack for weeks.
The International Committee of the Red Cross has confirmed that Russia has agreed to open a humanitarian corridor to Mariupol.
The Russian Defense Ministry agreed to a ceasefire starting at 10:00 local time BBC.
The Red Cross and the United Nations will contribute to the evacuation of the population. It will head west, through the Russian-controlled port city of Berdyansk.
– It is very important that this process takes place. The International Committee of the Red Cross said in a statement that the lives of tens of thousands of people depend on it in Mariupol.
Despite the fact that some have already been evacuated, all previous attempts at a ceasefire in Mariupol were unsuccessful.
The BBC writes that the reason is the lack of trust between the two parties.
Hundreds of thousands of fugitives
Hundreds of thousands of people in Ukraine are fleeing their homes from now on. The vast majority are internally displaced and go to other parts of the country.
This week, NRK met with volunteers helping the escapees. Almost 120 thousand people arrived in the city of Khmelnytskyi in the West alone.
Many of them come from the East, where the war has been hardest hit.
– Most of the people who come here are from the eastern part of Ukraine. Volunteer Marianna Lubitska says everyone has their own stories, including how they stayed in shelters for days.
Alona Kulmit fled from Chernivtsi in the north-east of the country. After Mariupol, the city was hardest hit by Russian bombing.
– The situation with us is very bad. We don’t have mobile phone coverage, we don’t have electricity, we don’t have water.
According to the Ukrainian authorities, there are still 140,000 people in Chernivtsi. The city is said to be surrounded by Russian troops.
lack of cars
Buses en route to Mariupol now play a particularly important role.
Most of the people who fled the city used their own cars.
Now the supply of drivable cars is weak. The same is the fuel supply, according to Father.
“Web specialist. Lifelong zombie maven. Coffee ninja. Hipster-friendly analyst.”