18-year-old Dutch driver Delano Vant Hoff died as a result of an accident at today’s race in Belgium at Spa-Francorchamps. This is confirmed by the Regional Formula Championship by Alpine (FRECA) in a press release.
The accident occurred in a class race between Formula 3 and Formula 4.
“FRECA sadly announces that MP Motorsport driver Dilano Van ´T Hoff passed away during Saturday’s race at Spa-Francorchamps. We want to express our deepest condolences to his family, team and friends,” FRECA wrote in the press release.
“We are very sad to learn of Delano van Hoff’s death today at Spa-Francorchamps.
Delano died pursuing his dream of reaching the pinnacle of motorsport.
Along with the entire motorsports community, our thoughts are with his family and loved ones.”
Stefano Dominicali pic.twitter.com/Kn0gklf9RN
– Formula 1 (@F1) July 1, 2023
– We are devastated
Dutch talent team MP Motorsport confirmed the death on Twitter.
We are devastated by the loss of one of the greatest Dutch speakers, who brought so much energy to the team during his years with us. Delano has been part of the MP family since his motorsport debut with MP in 2021, the team writes in statement.
MP Motorsport is the same team that Norwegian Dennis Hauger drives on a daily basis. Hauger’s manager, Harald Huysman, told Vieplay that there was a tense atmosphere in the team.
– It is incomprehensible. There is a driver on the team for MP. It’s a very tense atmosphere on the team here right now, Huysman said, before Dennis Höger went out to run a sprint in Austria.
Dennis Höger ran a sprint in Austria on Saturday and told Fiplay it wasn’t a pleasant message to receive before the race.
– Certainly not cool. It’s just tragic, it happened twice in the same path, same place now. I don’t know what’s going on there now. It’s really sad for the whole team and motorsport, really,” Höger said after driving to a seventh-place finish.
Aurskog Driver also said he was affected by the death.
– Absolutely. It’s not something you can stop thinking about like that. It is of course something that sets you apart when you run like this.
It was van te Hoff and Race Performance Motorsport driver Adam Fitzgerald who were involved in the collision.
– A very sad day for everyone in motorsports, wrote Fiaplay commentator Atle Gulbrandsen.
The organizer stresses that a minute of silence will remain in the memory of the Dutchman.
All entertainment for the 24 Hours of Spa has been canceled and there will be a minute’s silence before the start of the race in honor of Dilano’s memory.
– CrowdStrike 24Hours of Spa (@24HoursofSpa) July 1, 2023
The tragic incident takes place four years after the death of the Formula 2 driver, Antoine Hubert, on the same track.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”