– Intense attack. Stay in shelters, Kyiv Mayor Vitalizh Klitschko wrote on the Telegram platform, on Tuesday evening.
For the third time in 24 hours, the Ukrainian capital has been attacked. The Russians sent a mixture of cruise missiles and drones into the city. Few of the weapons were said to have reached their targets. There are still injuries. The Ukrainian defense said that devastating offensive weapons fell over the city.
Air defense under pressure
The Ukrainians have assembled many different defense systems in and around the capital. Most of them use missiles in limited quantities.
It is also said that Ukrainian fighter jets were active over the capital last night.
– I hear planes above me here in Kiev, it’s an unusual sound. Airspace has been closed to civilian aircraft for more than a year. These are Ukrainian warplanes. They’re on patrol to shoot down Russian missiles, writes journalist Ewan MacDonald on Twitter.
A tall building is on fire
In the Holoslivskyi district, the fallout of a Russian weapon fell on a high-rise building. This started a fire on the top floor of the building.
– One person lost his life. Three others were injured, including an elderly woman who was taken to hospital, Mayor Klitschko wrote.
The authorities fear that people may remain in the building.
In the Darnitsky district, it was reported that two residential buildings were set on fire and several cars were destroyed.
The information has not been confirmed by independent sources.
The army chief in Kiev wrote on Telegram that Russia carried out the attack using Iranian-made Shahed drones.
For the third day in a row, Russian forces attacked the Ukrainian capital, Kiev. Explosions have been reported in several places.
Over the past three days, other places in Ukraine have also come under air attack from drones and missiles. Among other cities is Odessa. Lviv and Mikolay hit.
The deadliest attack since the invasion
On May 28, the deadliest drone attack to date took place in Ukraine.
– This was the largest attack by Shahed drones since the start of the massive invasion, Writes the Institute for the Study of War.
The institute believes that the Russians have failed in their new air offensive.
The aim of the activity in recent months was to reduce the Ukrainian ability to launch an offensive. The Russians prioritized goals in Kiev, the institute writes, and this limited the possibility of achieving that goal in a meaningful way.
The attack, which took place at night, was the 17th attack on the capital since the beginning of May, according to BBC News.
The date of the attack has been set
In his speech on Monday night, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said a decision had been made about the timing of Ukraine’s counterattack, without giving further details on when it would happen, CNN wrote.
– The decision has been made. The timing of moving forward – because we will, Zelensky said.
Zelensky praised the US Patriot anti-aircraft system delivered to Ukraine.
Earlier on Monday, the president said the Air Force had rescued at least 100 people.
– He said the world should see that terrorism loses.
“Coffee trailblazer. Certified pop culture lover. Infuriatingly humble gamer.”