Manchester United's Marcus Rashford received a lot of criticism for the way he celebrated his goal against Tottenham on Sunday.
Former United legend Roy Keane was among those who shook their heads at the star's behaviour.
Rashford has struggled to find his form this season, as many pundits have pointed out, and it was quickly assumed that his post-scoring hand gesture was a sign that those who criticized him for a lack of goals were 'allowed to talk'.
– He has no reason to be angry, he did not deliver the goods, Kane said in the studio after the Tottenham match.
It was about Sancho's comment
Now, however, Rashford himself has clarified the celebration and claimed it was about his friend Jadon Sancho. Sancho went out of isolation with United, after a conflict with coach Erik ten Hag, and was recently loaned to German club Borussia Dortmund.
Rashford was criticized on social media after he commented on a recent post by Sancho. Sancho posted on Instagram after completing his move to Dortmund, and Rashford commented on the post with “Yesirrrrr” followed by a heart emoji.
Many saw the star posting such a comment on Sancho's post as a betrayal of United.
Read also: Rashford’s behavior is notable: – Scandal
People from United such as Benni McCarthy (head coach), Luke Shaw and Donny van de Beek (on loan to Frankfurt) have also shown their support, according to The Athletic.
On the 10th, Rashford maintains that the celebration against Tottenham was a response to those who harassed him online and questioned his loyalty.
– Thank you for clarifying that, the United striker responds to a post made by a user suggesting that Roy Keane has been misunderstood.
The user in question wrote the following on X following the match between United and Tottenham:
– He is clearly referring to the harassment he suffered this week, after commenting on Sancho's post. User Eternally Red wrote: They literally questioned his loyalty but he answered them by scoring goals and providing assists.
When Rashford scored against Tottenham, it was his first goal at Old Trafford since last May. Many experts have therefore been merciless against the star's recent performances and Rashford was discussed, among other things, in the Viaplay studio after the match.
Marcus Rashford is one of the best players in the league, so he is now starting to perform what you can expect from him. Because what he has done so far this season is a scandal, this was the clear opinion of expert pal Andre Helland.
Read also: Anger against Manchester United: – Pathetic!
Teammate Oli Skelrud told Netafsen that he has noticed Rashford's behavior this season.
– I think Rashford looked uninspiring at times, had bad body language, and as a key player, he has a clear responsibility to perform better than he did, said the former Molde coach.
– He must be the one to join and carry the burden for United. He was unable to do that, but I think what you saw today is clear progress. “It's one of the best things I've seen so far in the season,” Skelrod said.
With one point in the match against Tottenham, Manchester United ranks seventh in the English Premier League after 21 matches played. Liverpool reaches the lead with 13 points, and reaches the important fourth place with eight points.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”