One of the main concerns of those who want to buy an electric car is the concern about the range. You cannot easily drive an electric car, as is the case with cars with a gasoline or diesel engine.
But work is constantly being done to improve the range. This summer, Mercedes launched its flagship EQS electric car – which will be able to cover up to 780 kilometers on a single charge. Then he begins to help.
So far, no production-ready car has been able to cross the 1,000-kilometre limit. But Mercedes is working on that, too. The car you see here is called the EQXX. It’s a concept car that Mercedes says should run at least 1,000 kilometers with clean electricity.
Then we talk about the time difference for electric cars.
The EQXX was unveiled at the Consumer Electronic Display Technology Show (CES) in Las Vegas earlier this year.
Now Broom editor-in-chief Vigard Muller-Johnsen is in Nice, France, to get to know the car better. The fact that the press is allowed to participate in the test of the prototype car is one of the rare.
The private sedan was not planned to go into production. But the technology and experiences one has made and will make with the concept car will naturally be useful in future production models.
We’ll get a phone call to hear how it goes.
– standing outside
– Ringing ringing …
– Hey Knut!
– Welcome! Now I’m out. How are the Easter tourists on the French Riviera?
– He, he, can’t think of a better place to start Easter, me. Here, spring has come a long way, so to speak. It is reasonably special to be involved in testing such an exciting test vehicle. We’ve been reading and seeing pictures of this car for a while now. Now we finally get to know him better.
– What is the first impression?
– This is very good. We’re talking about a concept car, but that’s very reminiscent of a production model. Here the work is done well with the details. The design is special – with the most distinctive hedge. This car I noticed, I can detect. People turn and point.
More aerodynamic than a penguin
Air resistance is standard low – a CD value of just 0.17. This makes the EQXX the most aerodynamic car in the world.
Mercedes also has the most aerodynamic production car on the market before, too. The EQS Cd has a value of 0.20. When I was shooting the EQS, I remember they explained that it was more aerodynamic than the Penguin. So the EQXX has less air resistance – without standing up to an animal more aerodynamic than a penguin.
Low air resistance is of course important when reducing range.
In the photos, the car looks very large. However, the reality is completely different.
– This is a compact car. The wheelbase is shorter than the C-Class which is a mid-size car. The overhang in the back is too tall—and the low slope makes it difficult to sit in the back seat, says Broom-Vegard.
Journalists present are not allowed to drive the car themselves, but are seated on it.
– Of course I’d like to drive it. But at least we can try the car up close. There is no racing car. The seats are also very solid – and the chassis appears to be snug. I’ve also been told that a lot of technology has been used from the AMG One supercar. Among other things, to make a battery of just under 100 kW weigh only 480 kg. It’s 30 percent less weight than the EQS’s 107-kW battery pack—plus, the EQXX’s battery pack is only half its size. it is exciting!
Super fast charging
A regular electric vehicle usually has a 400-volt system, while Porsche, Audi, Hyundai, and Kia, among others, have 800 volts. The higher the voltage, the faster the charging.
Mercedes has developed a 900-volt system – which will make it possible to receive 300 kW. By comparison, the Peugeot e-2008 can receive 100 kW.
Mercedes believes that consumption and fast charging will eventually become more important than the long term. With the development of the infrastructure, we won’t have to worry about whether or not we’ll get on a single charge.
Banana peels, old diapers, and other household waste were used to create the car’s interior, so here you have an environmental perspective throughout.
It’s a little crazy to think that nappies and banana peels could become the interior of a luxury car. But here we come. It’s a new world. This vehicle could simply be a new time bill for electric vehicles.
Many unique cars
Of course Vegard will be back with more information about the car. Here he will also share impressions from other cars that he will experience on his trip to Nice. As one of very few in the world, he will be allowed to drive four other very special Mercedes models.
– I can’t say much about these cars yet. But it can reveal that these are “once in a lifetime” experiences. So just enjoy!
This issue was first published in broom.
“Explorer. Unapologetic entrepreneur. Alcohol fanatic. Certified writer. Wannabe tv evangelist. Twitter fanatic. Student. Web scholar. Travel buff.”