Mediterranean (Dagbladet): NATO controls the eastern Mediterranean, led by the giant aircraft carrier “USS Harry S. Truman”. Norwegian warship with the Americans – “KNM Fridtjof Nansen”.
Neither a Norwegian warship nor an American aircraft carrier is in training. “KNM Fridtjof Nansen” is in a planned operation in the Mediterranean. An expanded military operation after the war in Ukraine.
– Our mission is to support and protect the aircraft carrier, says Iris Fivalstadt, the ship’s commander and commander.
The Norwegian warship was sent to the Mediterranean Sea, along with several US ships to strengthen the eastern part of NATO.
– We – – KNM Fridtjof Nansen »- are part of the Destroyer Regiment in” Carrier Strike Group 8 “, which now travels east of the Mediterranean, says Iris Fivelstadt.
She was the first Norwegian woman to become the commander of Norway’s largest warship.
– It’s incredibly good. Many – men or women – are not allowed to be war commanders. Commander-in-Chief tells Dockbladet that being the commander of Norway’s sophisticated war system is a challenge.
Although there were less than 5,000 men on board the American aircraft carrier, the Norwegian warship had a crew of 150.
Commander Fivelstadt acknowledged that the Norwegian warship would be like a little brother in relation to the “USS Harry S. Truman”.
– We have been well received by the Americans, and cooperation is unimpeded, says Fivelstad.
Norwegian warships and US warships are not the only NATO ships sailing in the Mediterranean. NATO allies Italians, French and British also have warships in the area.
– First, we will travel to the Middle East after staying in the Mediterranean, and then travel north for the “Gold Response” exercise. But the security situation in Europe has changed. That’s why we’re still in the Mediterranean, says Iris Fivelstadt.
As Dagbladet understands, the Norwegian warship will stay in the Mediterranean for a while.
After President Vladimir Putin went to war and invaded Ukraine, the mission of the Norwegian warship did not gain importance.
– We look at our own work more seriously and may feel more important and more motivated. Commander Iris Fivelstadt says we do what we can every day.
“Challenging and Important”
He and his team took over the “KNM Fridtjof Nansen” on February 4 this year.
– The signing team has played us well. In many ways we are a small brother in this environment, but we have a good reception.
In addition to helping protect the “floating airport”, the “KNM Fridtjof Nansen” has a number of important functions.
– In terms of security, we create images of what is happening underwater, on the surface and in the air. At the same time, we are part of what can be described as a safety box for an aircraft carrier. We also have a landing platform for helicopters, which uses us to refuel fighter jets when they take off and land, says Iris Filestad.
Commander-in-Chief describes the mission in the Mediterranean as challenging and important.
– We prove to everyone that we are competent and can cooperate seamlessly with coalition forces. For us, it’s a good exercise, and the integration with U.S. ships is fantastic, says Commander Fivalstad.
Flag Commander Kurt Renshaw, who is leading the US military operation in the eastern Mediterranean, praises Norway’s contribution.
– Norwegians show good sailors, and by training closely, we can learn from each other, says the flag commander.
Both Renshaw and Commander-in-Chief Filestad are clear that they are ready to defend NATO countries militarily.
– We are always ready! Our job is to protect freedom. And we are in a position to defend our values, ”Kurt Renshaw told DocPlat.
– We have been trained and trained, we are ready to do what we have to do, and when we have to do it, says Commander Iris Filestad.
“Music geek. Coffee lover. Devoted food scholar. Web buff. Passionate internet guru.”