Earlier this month, former Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva suddenly appeared on the Spanish island of Tenerife.
A few years ago, the 41-year-old was living in Monaco with her husband, Nikita, and their two children. But it was not noticed there for a long time. It turns out that she has moved to the Canary Islands.
Isinbayeva does not often appear in the media, but on Tuesday last week, the Russian posted a post on her Instagram account. In her first Instagram post since February 10, 2022, she wrote that she had been reacting to articles about her in the media.
– Until 2018, I competed in CSKA, for my sports merits I had many awards and titles. The addresses discussed have no consequences because I am not and have not been in the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation. In the same way that I was not a State Duma deputy or a member of any party. My vocation is sports, – writes Isinbageva.
In the same Instagram post, she also commented on the rumors surrounding her new residence, saying that she is a “citizen of the world” and that she lives where she works.
– She loves Putin
After it became known that the women’s pole vault world record holder remained in Tenerife, this caused a reaction from many people.
Now supporters of imprisoned Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny are calling on the European Union to step in and freeze his assets in Spain.
Elena Isinbayeva is an active supporter of the war. Even though Bolshevik’s group is not so strong, it is very important to have the power that Putin deserves.
Look at the musicians, pisateriei, and kogo yugladno more:… https://t.co/ARPeqlE3i8
– Leonid Volkov (@leonidvolkov) July 18, 2023
– Yelena Isinbayeva is an active supporter of the war. She is one of a not very large group of people who have made this war as close as possible. She has leased her well-deserved real power to Putin for a pittance. Isinbayeva is a rare representative of those who sincerely love Putin, writes Leonid Volkov, Alexei Navalny’s chief of staff, in Twitter posts.
Furthermore, Volkov wrote that they want to expel the 41-year-old from the Spanish holiday island.
– The fact that we are at least trying to expel her from Spain and include her in the sanctions lists should be minimal, and a small step towards justice.
The group reviewed Isinbajeva’s activities in Spain and claimed to own three properties in Tenerife worth just over NOK 30 million, reproduced by the Swedish. Aftonbladet.
They also provide evidence that Isinbayeva has partially supported Vladimir Putin for many years.
In a longer thread on Twitter, Navalny’s confidant Georgy Alburov writes about how Isinbayeva helped Putin retain power in the country.
– During all these years that Isinbayeva has helped Putin maintain power, I realized one thing: it is also important to build a life outside of Russia. Now it is doing well (in Spain). She is far from the war and her husband does not have to join the army and die in Ukraine. It can’t be like this. Alburov concludes that you cannot help Putin for several years, flee the country and start living a life of luxury, and then keep silent about the war that you helped bring about.
🇪🇸 In this photo taken shortly after the war began, Russian Olympic gold medalist Yelena Isinbayeva hugs an immigration lawyer. She is happy because she just got her Spanish papers.
I would never have told you about this if there wasn’t one huge BUT
– Георгий Албуров (alburov) July 17, 2023