ORKANGER/Oslo (Dagbladet): Earlier this summer, a scandal rocked the Ski Norge area. Frode Pedersen, Johannes Hosflot Klaebo’s personal oiler for many years, claimed in a lawsuit VG– An interview stating that one of Klæbo’s “golden skates” was vandalized during the bathroom in Planica.
He also confirmed this himself to Dagbladet.
Now, for the first time, Claybaugh is speaking publicly about the alleged, to put it mildly, astonishing event.
– I don’t want to get into this matter. Now it comes to notification, and I think it’s important to me that the investigation is done. I do not wish to strengthen or weaken the credibility of Frode or the Norwegian Ski Association. Then I have to come back to it when we reach a conclusion, says Claybo to Dagbladet.
The 26-year-old comes forward with new details about the vandalism accusations:
– I discovered after the toilet. I can reveal that, says Claybaugh, who adds that it comes down to “a good pair of skis.”
Back in September, Frode Pedersen said the following to VG about the alleged sabotage:
– They were completely destroyed under the sole. Somebody walked them across a gravel parking lot or something. They were broken. I immediately told the lubrication manager that there was nothing else we could do at the moment. But sadly they were a very good couple. One is a bit surprised that some colleagues, or I don’t know who, have ruined their skates in the bathroom. Pedersen told the newspaper that this is unacceptable.
Last week, several of Claybaugh’s former teammates disagreed with that claim, which came before Claybaugh finished fourth in the 15km race during the World Championships – 0.9 seconds behind Hans Christer Holland.
After that, he was very frustrated, but Claybaugh himself has not yet commented on the episode, which received great international attention.
No agreement: – Not understood
At the same press conference, Claybo confirmed that he and the Norwegian Ski Federation had not reached an agreement on a representation agreement.
-We’ve been arguing for eight or nine days. This is the situation. “It’s a bit incomprehensible,” says Father Haakon Klaebo.
An agreement could wait less than two months before the World Cup starts, although Claybaugh’s side had confidence the parties could reach an agreement before Wednesday this week.
– I have been clear about my affairs from the beginning, and anyone who knows me knows that it is about values. It’s the father’s job to keep track of things. To me, this wasn’t an energy leak, Claybaugh says.
New sponsorship agreement
He was able to focus on his work tasks throughout the summer.
– I take it well. “I was mostly doing my own thing, so it was nice to come back to my home in Trondheim and spend a few days there after living in the highlands in the US,” says Claybo.
Earlier on Wednesday, it became known that Klæbo has begun a collaboration with Norsk Kylling.
Espen Graaf, press director of the Norwegian Ski Federation, tells Dagbladet that it is too early to say whether Klæbo’s new sponsor could cause problems for the ski federation.
-We have to see the details in the agreement first, and use them. And Johannes must have an agreement, Graf writes in an SMS.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”