Almost two years have passed since the first case of coronavirus was discovered in Wuhan in December 2019. Since then, the whole world has been affected by the deadly virus, which has so far killed more than 4.7 million people, according to figures from John Hopkins University.
Well, almost the whole world.
One country that still claims to have not had a single case of coronavirus is Turkmenistan. At least, according to President Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov. He was done Presidential representation In the country since 2006, when he took office only temporarily after the death of former president Saparmurat Niyazov. Berdymukhamedov was subsequently elected as the second president of Turkmenistan in 2007.
The former Soviet republic, with a population of nearly six million, is one of five countries that claim not to have detected a single case of coronavirus. The other islands are three isolated islands in the Pacific Ocean and North Korea, according to research by Johns Hopkins University and the World Health Organization.
claiming his innocence
Should be the current president in the past He denied all charges In cases of COVID-19. According to CNN In a speech to the United Nations on Tuesday, September 21, he said that the response to the pandemic should not be “politicised,” which means contributing to seemingly apolitical issues of a political nature or content.
Although the state claims its innocence, independent journalists now believe that this does not correspond to reality at all. They say the country is fighting a third wave and hospitals are struggling to limit the death toll.
Moreover, they fear that development will go in the wrong direction, precisely because the president refuses to acknowledge infection numbers so as not to lose face, CNN wrote on Sunday.
One of them is Ruslan Myatiev, editor of the independent Dutch news organization Turkmen News, who strongly believes in it The authorities are lying.
“We consider it a crime. The Turkmen authorities are directly responsible for hundreds of deaths due to the virus. We were able to identify 55 people who died from the Corona virus, which is almost something. Dozens of relatives confirmed in a personal conversation, but they refuse to publish information about the death of relatives for their own safety “, As stated in an article. on the site.
Describes overcrowded hospitals
in a 44-page report Posted by Myatiev, They have put a timeline of every Corona related incident in the country from January 30, 2020 until May 2021.
In addition, they have published an overview of all deaths in the country as a result of the epidemic. Total 55 people, 47 people in 2020 and 8 people in 2021.
last week BBC Books About an unknown man in the country who received a positive response to a corona test. Although the clinic where he took the test was called to confirm the result, the man received no public evidence from the authorities.
The desperate man tells of overcrowded hospitals that refused to receive him. Finally, contact a doctor he knows and ask for help. Only then was he taken to the hospital, where he stayed for ten days.
In total, he was said to have spent $2,000, the equivalent of approx. 17,000 NOK on medicines and bribes to be able to recover.
While in the hospital, the unidentified man was said to have received a text message from the government containing a health warning, encouraging people to wear face masks due to the dust in the air.
“Coffee trailblazer. Certified pop culture lover. Infuriatingly humble gamer.”