Romania's General and Defense Chief Georgi Vlad believes Romanians and Europe in general should prepare for more aggression from Russia and President Vladimir Putin.
– If Putin wins in Ukraine, his next main target will be Moldova. “We will see tensions in the Balkans as well,” Vlad says in an interview with the site. europe libra romania. also POLITICO This issue was mentioned.
The Romanian Defense Minister expresses his concern that his country is not prepared for a possible Russian attack.
– There is reason for concern. We need to take the right steps to be ready. Russia's war is not a war against Ukraine, but a war against the democratic world, as Vlad claims.
Pasikyvi: – I do not see that Russia is capable of doing this
According to a report by the US Institute for the Study of War (ISW), Russia is preparing to destabilize Moldova in the long term. This is because the country is moving closer to the West and the European Union, he writes Swedish TV 4.
However, Lt. Colonel Joachim Pasikevi of the Swedish Armed Forces Academy disagrees with Vlad's claim that Moldova is the next country on Vladimir Putin's list.
– Because I don't see that Russia has this opportunity, he tells Channel 4.
Al-Suwaidi believes that possible Russian aggression against Moldova requires the Russians to equip the army on a large scale. Pasekivi has little faith in what will happen.
– I would be very surprised if I was wrong about this, the presenter tells the channel, adding that the ruling authorities in Moldova are also well equipped to resist any coup attempts.
Moldova plans to leave the Russian-dominated Commonwealth of Independent States by the end of 2024, Dagsavisen wrote in December.
We have set ourselves the goal of having everything ready by the end of 2024, said the Chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the National Assembly of Moldova, Doina Gherman.
Commonwealth of Independent States (SUS)
- SUS is an association of some former Soviet republics founded in December 1991 to coordinate the countries' policies and avoid unwanted fragmentation after the dissolution of the Soviet Union. The Commonwealth is headquartered in Minsk, Belarus.
- SUS has tried, among other things, to find common solutions to defense issues and issues related to the economic development of countries.
(source: The Great Norwegian Encyclopedia)
According to NTB, Moldova has reduced its participation in the SUS since the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and because the country supports Ukraine, tension between Moldova and Russia is growing.
The Russians have long tried to ensure that Moldova does not have sovereignty over its foreign policy, Moldovan Prime Minister Dorin Risin said last winter, according to what was reported by the British newspaper “Daily Mail”. Aftenposten.
Stay up to date. Get the daily newsletter from Dagsavisen
Putin's warning from Latvia
Earlier in January, Latvian Foreign Minister Krishanis Karinc said that the West “must develop a long-term plan to contain” Russia and Vladimir Putin.
Karinch, who has presented himself as a candidate for NATO Secretary General after Jens Stoltenberg, predicts that Russia and President Putin will “seek new goals” – regardless of how the war in Ukraine ends.
He was supported by the Danish expert on Russia, Jørgen Meidum Stone.
“I completely agree that Russia’s ambitions do not stop at Ukraine,” Stone told Dagsavisen.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov rejected claims that Russia will not stop with Ukraine.
– It's ridiculous, Lavrov said, according to Politico.
Read also: Author about fear of Putin: – NATO is still the strongest in the world
Read also: Expert on Peskov's warning: – Anti-Western snake and bitterness
Read also: Small margins can decide the race. Now Biden's got a powerful supporter (+)
“Coffee trailblazer. Certified pop culture lover. Infuriatingly humble gamer.”