ULLEVAAL (VG) Lars Lagerbäck has returned to Ullevaal for the first time since losing his job as Norway manager. The 73-year-old believes Norway is already doing well enough for the European Championship and World Cup finals.
– Yes, Norway is already good enough for the championship, Lagerbäck answers VG’s questions. He led Sweden, Nigeria and Iceland in six tournaments, but with Norway she said stop with Serbia losing in qualifying for the European Championship last year.
The former Norway national team manager (2017-2020) believes his team has also been good enough for the tournament.
– But we had some margins against us and were bothered by the epidemic. We were not even allowed to finish playing the Nations League which would have given us entry to the World Cup (we had to withdraw from the match against Romania). It is believed that Norway certainly has good chances now After the fun derby match that ended in Norway 3-2 victory.
The national team in 10 days got 10 out of 12 possible points in the Nations League. Three places in the European Championship are in the Nations League standings for the European Championship in 2024. Germany qualifies directly as the organizer, while the 20 places are decided by next year’s European Championship qualifiers. The groups weren’t drawn until October. If Norway does not qualify through the regular playoffs, the Nations League group winner will be guaranteed an additional chance in the spring of 2024.
Ståle Solbakken also believes Norway are now making offers that could give the national team a place in the first qualifying rounds since he himself played the European Championship in 2000.
– Chances are we’ll at least get involved and fight for it, answers Ståle Solbakken on VG. His first attempt – last year’s World Cup qualifier – was unsuccessful.
The Solbakken edition of Norway evokes Lars Lagerbäck.
– Looks good with Solbakken. Norway plays the way I want it, they are well organized and know what to do in the defensive game. And with Haaland, most matters can be resolved in the future, he says after Yarbujn’s two-goal display and one assist against Sweden.
It was Lagerbäck who made Haaland debut for the A-national team in 2019. He scored his first six goals for Sweden off the bench – including a hat-trick against Romania in 2020.
– He’s a unique player, says Lagerback. He was as impressed as everyone else at Ullevaal Sunday.
The result of the match and what he does speaks for itself, says Lars Lagerback.
Solbakken against Sweden used seven of the players who were on the field with Lagerbäck in Serbia’s fall loss two years ago.
Like I said when I had to quit: this is one of the most exciting national teams in Europe. Four or five guys have played for the national team for a year and I saw a huge opportunity to develop. Lars Lagerback says they are well on their way and adds:
This Norwegian national team should be able to take more steps. A lot of the players are young and in good clubs.
When Lars Lagerback made his debut as Norway’s national team manager five years ago, Sander Berg (then 19) gave his Norway debut.
He’s a player that is rarely talked about. Sanderberg is king in his own way. Quite unusual, as Lagerback describes it.
Against Sweden, the Sheffield United midfielder played seven points in the VG players exchange.
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”
Guardiola on Haaland’s confidence: – The greatest value you can have
Hovland caught Texas – four shots to par
The comment after the fatal accident sparked outrage