KRAKOW (VG) No one has been more important than Sander Sagosen to the progress of the national team over the past decade. Before WC opened on Friday, many changes were made around Norway’s biggest star. Among other things, he will be a leader without being a leader.
– It will be very interesting to see how it goes when it really matters, Sagosen tells VG.
Norway starts the World Cup against North Macedonia in Poland. With sheer dueling power, Trønder dominated Norway with two WC silvers and an EC bronze.
But in the last three tournaments, it was difficult for Norway to finish fifth, sixth and seventh. And now Norway wants to get back on the podium. The new manager of the national team, Jonas Willi, will limit the attacks, which will end in a pure sagosin duel against a man.
– I wouldn’t call it a new role. He’s still very important to us, Willie says.
But the coach undoubtedly wants more flow on the ball and more breadth in the game. In the three World Cup preliminary matches in Trondheim last week, the winger scored 53 of Norway’s 111 goals. Sagosin returned from an ankle injury by firing just one shot against Portugal (in addition to putting a ball into an open goal).
– I’ve never been “fresh” after 45 minutes of playing. There were very few duels that I participated in. We managed to get the upper hand by letting the ball do the work, as he describes in the Eastern European sun next to the Wisla River.
It’s calm before the storm at the World Cup. On Friday, Sajosen returned to the hall that gave him such a huge achievement. Norway ranks fourth in the European group. Norway then played, among others, a draw against opening rivals North Macedonia at the Tauron Arena. Then he played the world star Kirill Lazarov. Now he is a coach. Few would have thought that he would steal points from Norway now.
Sagosin scored a total of 359 goals in the 66 matches he played in the tournament. Norway’s success since 2016 has been synonymous with its emergence as a world class player. Willy would like to keep the scorer, of course.
– Sander Sagossen is still very important to us, confirmed the Haldense player who was Christian Berg’s assistant at EC last year.
The medal dream ended with a complete halt in the Norwegian attacking game. Norway did not score a goal in the last six minutes against Sweden. Sagosin took responsibility as usual but missed the decisive shot in a one-goal defeat in Bratislava.
It is important to us that he continues to take on the responsibilities of leadership and finding balance in the game. But it is very important for us that he wins the most difficult matches He. She fencing and pound in the Target. But we want a nuanced approach to the game, says Willie.
– I think we should still focus on winning duels, but we can disagree more. Create width in the game, play across regions and create redundancy that way, says Sagosen himself.
Christian O’Sullivan is a Norwegian WC captain and has Christian Bjornsen and Magnus Abelvik Rude in the captaincy team. But the leadership role of Sander Sagosin must also be clarified. Willie interviewed him personally about this.
My role is to be important in some way off the field. He explains himself to create security for others around me, to help move the group forward, to be a leader.
– I think he was fine there, Willie says.
Sander Sagosen underwent two ankle operations last summer. His career was threatened after starting mistakes. But throughout the fall, most things worked out. In November, he returned to the field for Kiel. He enters the WC with 11 caps for club and national team.
The ankle is absolutely fine, Sagosin did well, but he wasn’t at the top level.
– It took a little longer than I imagined, he says.
– I myself think it has diversified, and I may not have quite got that peak. But now I think it’s starting to look good. “So I feel good and I’m really ready to hit the gas,” says Sander Sagosin.
Norway – North Macedonia Friday at 20.30, TV 3 and Viaplay
“Infuriatingly humble internet trailblazer. Twitter buff. Beer nerd. Bacon scholar. Coffee practitioner.”