Privacy and data storage
Data storage and recording
By visiting this website, certain technical data about your internet connection and browser are stored. This data can be categorized as:
- Cookies in your browser
- Technical information on servers
- User information in databases
A cookie is a mechanism where your browser can store information it receives from web pages, and then send it back to web pages again later. This is done automatically without the user having to think about it.
Cookies can have many functions, such as keeping track of your settings, who you are logged in to and what you have access to, helping ensure you get the right content, tracking ad impressions and more.
Cookies allow such settings and other things to be tracked over time, so that information is easier to access during repeated visits to the website. Cookies are also used to temporarily handle user information when visiting different parts of the same website.
Two examples of the many features the site uses for maintenance cookies: one cookie is used to remember your video player’s volume setting, and the other is used to remember if you’ve checked that info box so you don’t have to see it again the next time you visit This site is from the same browser you are currently using.
Cookies are automatically saved by your browser as small text files on your computer. You can change the settings for how cookies are handled in your browser.
Cookies can be provided by all types of content on the website, be it text pages, images or more. Cookies are only sent to the website you got them from, not to other websites.
This website stores cookies to manage three levels of functionality:
- Important cookies are used to track user information, access, some personal settings, and more. Without these, the site will not function properly.
- Analytics cookies are used to track website traffic, which parts are most popular, which parts are most used and more. Some of these cookies are third-party cookies that are provided by third-party service providers. Analytics function cookies are used to improve the website (which is constantly evolving), but are not important to the website’s functionality.
- Advertising cookies are used by internal and external advertising systems to track and trace ad impressions.
There is a legal requirement that this information be made available to you as a user of websites that use these cookies.
When you visit a website, the web server will record some technical information such as your IP address, the browser you are using and the time each time you request data from the server i.e. when you click on an internal link and load a new website or associated data such as fonts, images and various texts requested website for work.
This data is only saved for a certain period of time in order to perform troubleshooting and debugging of systems, and is not shared with newspaper employees or third parties.
We store some information about you as a user. No sensitive information is stored on this website, but the simple contact information you provide when creating a user account or purchasing services in online newspapers will be stored in our databases. This is necessary to be able to provide the Services to you. This data is deleted when you delete your user account.
Who do we store data about?
Regular visitors / readers:
If you visit this website without registering a user account or subscription, the following data about you will be stored:
- Some technical information such as IP address and browser are stored in web server logs. This technical information is saved for 180 days and is necessary for the functioning of the service and for security. This data is not disclosed to newspaper employees or to third parties.
- Google Analytics counts pageviews to maintain visitor statistics. This information is anonymous and cannot be used to track you.
- Some third-party services such as downloaded fonts and scripts may log your IP address and other information on remote servers.
- A cookie is set to recognize you as a user while browsing web pages. This will be deleted when you close your browser, or at the latest after 360 minutes of inactivity.
Registered users and subscribers:
If you choose to create a user account and/or subscribe to the online newspaper, the following information about you will also be stored:
- The name, address and other contact information you provide in the registration process. This data is stored until you delete your user account.
- Information about your subscription, eg when it was purchased, how it was paid for, a few numbers from your credit card, how long the subscription was and what your subscription is. This data is stored until the user account is deleted.
- If you purchase access via SMS Micropayment, information about your mobile purchase will be stored for 90 days.
- Simple data about the articles you have read and the amount of articles you have read. This is used to improve our content and will be deleted if you delete your user account.
Note: After deleting the data, it will still be possible to save it for up to 180 days in backups. Backups are stored with high security and limited access, and are essential to be able to troubleshoot and ensure the security of users and computer systems.
Here you will find information about our partners:
As a user of this website, you may contact the newspaper to distribute and/or delete your data.
If you have a user account/subscription, you can log into your user profile and download your stored data, as well as delete your user account and associated data at any time.
You can also delete all local data in your browser. The procedure for this varies between different browsers and devices.
Recommendation: With the EU’s YourOnlineChoices.com service, you can have some control over how different ad providers track you, as well as read several good tips on how to customize the ads that are shown. Open YourOnlineChoices.com in a new window.
Note: Some critical data of the incoming system, for example, the web server logs will not be deleted on demand, but will be automatically deleted after a short time according to the above information.
If you press REFUSE, cookies will not be stored in your browser and no data about you will be recorded in our databases. It also means that we can’t tell if you’ve agreed or not, so you’ll see this warning on every page you visit. Technical information (web server logs) will still store your IP address and browser information, but will be constantly deleted as described above.
“Explorer. Unapologetic entrepreneur. Alcohol fanatic. Certified writer. Wannabe tv evangelist. Twitter fanatic. Student. Web scholar. Travel buff.”