Privacy and data storage
Data storage and recording
By visiting this website, certain technical data about your internet connection and browser are stored. This data can be categorized as:
- Cookies in your browser
- Technical information on servers
- User information in databases
A cookie is a mechanism by which your browser can take care of the information it receives from websites, and then send it back to the websites again later. This is done automatically without the user having to think about it.
Cookies may have many functions, such as keeping track of your settings, what user you are logged in with, what you can access, help ensure you get the right content, track ad impressions and more.
Cookies allow such settings and other things to be tracked over time, so that information is easier to access on repeated visits to the website. Cookies are also used for the temporary processing of user information when visiting different parts of the same website.
Cookies are automatically saved by your browser as small text files on your computer. You can change the settings for how cookies are handled in your browser.
Cookies can be provided by all types of content on the website, whether text pages, images, etc. Cookies are only sent to the site you got them from, and not to other sites.
This website stores cookies to manage three levels of functionality:
- Important cookies are used to track user information, access, some personal settings, and more. Without these, the site will not function as it should.
- Analytics cookies are used to track website traffic, which parts are most popular, which parts are most used and more. Parts of them are third-party cookies that are provided by third-party service providers. Analytical functions cookies are used to improve the website (which is subject to continuous development), but are not important to the website’s functionality.
- Advertising cookies are used by internal and external advertising systems to track and track ad impressions.
There is a legal requirement that this information be made available to you as a user of websites that use these cookies.
When you visit a website, the web server will record some technical information such as your IP address, the browser you are using and the time of each time you request data from the server, i.e. when you click on an internal link and load a new website or associated data such as fonts, images and various texts requested for the website to function.
This data is saved for a certain period of time only in order to perform troubleshooting and debugging of systems, and is not shared with newspaper employees or third parties.
We store some information about you as a user. No sensitive information is stored on this website, but the simple contact information you provide when creating a user account or purchasing services in online newspapers will be stored in our databases. This is necessary to be able to provide the Services to you. This data is deleted when you delete your user account.
Who do we store data about?
Regular visitors / readers:
If you visit this website without registering a user account or subscription, the following data about you will be stored:
- Some technical information such as IP address and browser are stored in web server logs. This technical information is saved for 180 days and is necessary for the functioning of the service and for security. This data is not disclosed to newspaper employees or to third parties.
- Google Analytics calculates pageviews to maintain visitor statistics. This information is anonymous and cannot be used to track you.
- Some third-party services such as downloaded fonts and scripts may log your IP address and other information on external servers.
- A cookie is set to recognize you as a user while browsing websites. This is deleted when you close your browser, or at the latest after 360 minutes of inactivity.
Registered users and subscribers:
If you choose to create a user account and/or subscribe to the online newspaper, the following information about you will also be stored:
- The name, address and other contact information you provide to yourself in the registration process. This data is stored until you delete your user account.
- Information about your subscription, such as when it was purchased, how it was paid for, a few numbers from your credit card, the duration of the subscription and which subscription you have. This data is stored until the user account is deleted.
- Simple data about the articles you have read and the amount of articles you have read. This is used to improve our content and is deleted if you delete your user account.
Note: After data is deleted, it can still be saved for up to 180 days in backups. Backups are stored with high security and limited access, and are essential to be able to do troubleshooting and ensure the security of users and the computer system.
As a user of this website, you may contact the newspaper to issue and/or delete your data.
If you have a user account/subscription, you can log in to your user profile and download your saved data, as well as delete your user account and associated data at any time.
You can also delete all local data in your browser. The procedure for this varies between different browsers and devices.
Recommendation: With the EU’s YourOnlineChoices.com service, you can have some control over how different ad providers track you, as well as read several good tips on how to adapt the ads that are shown. Open YourOnlineChoices.com in a new window.
Note: Some critical data of the existing system, for example, the web server logs will not be able to be deleted on demand, but they are automatically deleted after a short time according to the above information.
If you press Decline, cookies will not be stored in your browser and no data about you will be recorded in our databases. It also means that we can’t tell if you’ve agreed or not, so you’ll see this warning on every page you visit. Technical information (web server logs) will still store your IP address and browser information, but is constantly deleted as described above.
“Explorer. Unapologetic entrepreneur. Alcohol fanatic. Certified writer. Wannabe tv evangelist. Twitter fanatic. Student. Web scholar. Travel buff.”